• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male vs Female tiel

Anjule

Meeting neighbors
I'm an about to be cockatiel owner ... Do you keep each bird in a separate cage?

Angie

Hmmmm
My males (RIP) seem to have done a bit more singing than others here. Like alllll the time. The shrieks, ,which can be male OR female, are pretty loud. We had their cage by the TV in the family room for awhile - the birds tried to out-yell the TV! Finally they got their own room!

I now have 4 girls. They are all different. But all quieter than the males, except Clint was very quiet but he was like 28 when we got him.
1. Torrie, gives the loud whistle/scream when we go in or out of the house. Demands scritches, you can see her on my Youtube Bird Babble. (Moody Cockatiel is the video)
2. Spirit, quietest bird in the world, just wants to sit on your right hand. No, not your shoulder or lap, your hand so you can't get any work done.
3. Pearl, new about 2-3 months ago... supposedlly 1 year old... starting to like being on her person a lOT. She will scream if she can see me and isn't on me. I occasionally hear them all chattering together.
4. Pippa, sometimes will make the boy whistle but is a girl. She is noisier than Spirit, but only calls out occasionally. Wants nothing to do with people.

If I were to only have ONE and wanted cuddly or a shoulder bird.... I would get a girl.
If I were to only have one and wanted to teach whistle songs... I would get a boy.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Males can sing and whistle some very cute tunes, that make them look sooo cute, but you will probably be a little distracted by it while watching tv. They don't sing all day long, just when they are active and ready to impress. Some males can learn loud calls and mimic loud fire alarms if they hear it often enough, so you can try teaching it to speak or some cute little whistles like star wars themes, game of thrones theme etc. If they learn to talk they are less loud as they talk in a lower voice. I would try listening to a video of a male cockatiel to decide if the loudness factor would bother you.

Dominiks "Screm Song"

Females are usually at 50% loudness capacity compared to males, unless they have a loud personality ;D My female is quiet for most of the day unless I am in the bathroom, or in the morning when she does her happy chirps. Males might be easier to train as they love to show off, but females can learn tricks as well, and sometimes they get in a show off mood. But most of the time they will jsut try to look pretty. ;D My female cockatiel knows how to do lots of tricks, from fetching a ball or toy to spreading wings and ringing a bell and much more ! She actually enjoys the fetch trick the most.

It is actually rare for a cockatiel to become a chronic egg layer unless it is in poor environment (lack of mental stimulation - lack of attention - lack of environment changes and trying to prevent hormones - preventing mating if the male keeps stimulating the female.. etc . Egg binding is very rare in a healthy cockatiel. Diet , ability to fly and exercise will keep your female happy and healthy. You can motivate your birds to fly more as well , especially after they are bonded to you.

My female turned 3 a week ago, and has never laid an egg . I'm sure it may happen at least once or twice in her life, but I do not think she is going to be a 2 times a year layer like some tiels (Which is still natural and ok for them to lay two times a year.) Chronic egg laying is when they lay over 2 times a year.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The male tiels in my flock learned a certain whistle from me so when daylight comes and somebirdy is feeling frisky they'll start whistling that "special" call. Usually starts a chorus of "frisky" calls.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
While both genders can have their individual quirks, I’d really let the bird choose you. They’re such individualistic birds.

When I picked up Mimi I was allowed to see her siblings and make a choice there but the instant I got to interact with her I knew I was smitten. Despite thinking she was male the first month or two, she was undeniably a little girlie in hindsight.
All she wants is to be near me and will put her head down for scritches at most opportunities. She can be very particular and lets me know when something is not to her standard. :lol:

The egg laying can be hit or miss, some females struggle with it but it usually can be managed easily. Mimi started at about 3-4.
I make sure she has a set bedtime/ lights on schedule and plenty of calcium sources. If I notice her, er, being too overzealous with a certain toy I’ll swap it out.
It’s really just a matter of getting to know your bird and their quirks. But with patience it can be managed for most all female Cockatiels. It definitely shouldn’t deter you from having a female since they’re such sweethearts.

Whichever baby chooses you, I wish you many wonderful years with them. They’re incredible birds and mine never fails to light up my days.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm an about to be cockatiel owner ... Do you keep each bird in a separate cage?

Angie
I kept my male in his own cage because he would pester Sunset, one of my females. Although he passed, Sunset still has her own cage because she is happier that way, and Cappuccino, another of my hens, tends to boss her around. Cappuccino shares a cage with Niko, who is able to hold her ground when Cappuccino tries to boss her around. It all depends on the birds different personalities regarding if they can share a cage or not.

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
Hi everyone :joyful:! Sorry if I'm posting way too often (I worry lol). I'm at the stage where I am finally ordering things for my new arrival and changing up dangers in my home. A question popped into my head this morning. The breeder I was looking at has DNA sexed the chicks. I can't decide between male and female :o:. I love the whistling ability of males but I'd prefer it not so loud 24/7 to the point where I can't even hear others talking beside me and my ears ring all day( doubt tiels can make that much noise but then again, never had one). I've also heard males are easier to train (probably not true but once again, not sure) I've heard females are quieter and more likely to be ok just sitting on your shoulder. Then I have to think about chronic egg laying which I don't think I'm ready for.

What do you guys think? Are there any notable differences between your male and female tiels? Which do you prefer? Are males ear piercing loud?

I know birds are going to be loud in general, some may not want to sit on your shoulder, some may never be trained etc. and I'm ok with that. I'm just wondering what your experiences are. Any comments/advice appreciated! :D

~ Estella :loveshower:
Hi! I haf a male tiel for 24 years, he was loud when I was out but not when I was with him . He was very affectionate and always on my shoulder. He died in Dec. and I've had a baby for 2 months who's not too loud and just as affectionate as the other and always on my shoulder. In my experience they're very affectionate loving creatures and react well if one treats them well

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

Angie
I don’t. My tiels almost never have a closed door. When I brought home 2 more, it took a couple weeks and. Now they’re a flock, and all 4 go into one cage or another together.

Before this it was the 2 girls and a male, and the 3 flew together but the male needed quiet time by himself sometimes and I’d shut the 2 girls out of his cage. LOL So they’d sit on it and look sad.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

Angie
It's ring around the rosie with cages here.... sometimes I'll have all the cockatiels together, sometimes one is by himself, or I'll put another bird with him.

Right now, I have two cockatiels and a bourke separate from the rest of the flock. Been trying to figure out how to swap cages/birds around and haven't quite figured out how I want to do that. Thought I had it figured out, until I moved part of a cage to where I want it and realized it's a tad too large for the space....

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thought I had it figured out, until I moved part of a cage to where I want it and realized it's a tad too large for the space....
Oh I feel your pain! I wanted to start keeping all my supplies in the closet, it's a good size closet. Right now it's all on a bookcase or stacked under cages and looks pretty messy most of the time. So I rearranged (ring around the cages indeed) and....came up a few inches short. Can't open the closet doors. There's almost nothing I can do. I think.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It is actually rare for a cockatiel to become a chronic egg layer unless it is in poor environment
I've been thinking about this. I'm not sure I agree. I have a chronic egg layer, and 3 that have not ever laid an egg. Pretty sure the environment etc is good.

Anyone else have experience with egg layers?

Mantis64

These are the youngest :joyful: He also has some more grown baby tiels with most of there feathers but I think I'll go for the the youngest as I need to finish prepping. I'm also looking at another breeder with other baby tiels to find one that I really feel a connection to (please don't think I'm crazy lol).
I cant take this cuteness anymore

RainbowFlo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Estella
Hi! Sorry to bring this thread up again but I have one more question. If I bring home a bird that's between 12 and 15 weeks, do I have to get a smaller cage to transfer the bird into instead of a flight cage. Or is that old enough to navigate around a large cage safely? Is there a specific age I should bring one home?

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Hi! Sorry to bring this thread up again but I have one more question. If I bring home a bird that's between 12 and 15 weeks, do I have to get a smaller cage to transfer the bird into instead of a flight cage. Or is that old enough to navigate around a large cage safely? Is there a specific age I should bring one home?
Mimi was 3 - 3 1/2 months old and did fine in her flight cage when she came home. I did use a cat carrier with a soft towel on the bottom for the drive. Didn’t want her falling off anything from the motion of the car.

If you notice the baby not perching too well, just move the perches further down the cage. I had about 3 rope perches that Mimi stuck to like glue the first few weeks so those are good for young birds.

But typically good breeders will make sure they’re perching reliably in addition to being weened before they allow you to bring them home. I’m so excited for the new baby, take lots of pictures! :cloud9:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I've been thinking about this. I'm not sure I agree. I have a chronic egg layer, and 3 that have not ever laid an egg. Pretty sure the environment etc is good.

I've never had a chronic egg layer so I can't say from personal experience... I may have taken in tiels that were on their way to becoming chronic egg layers, or maybe they already were? I dunnno... I just never had excessive egg laying here.

I think that a lot of "chronic egg layers" is due to environment and diet. That is, there's something that is triggering them to lay and the owners *CAN'T* figure it out!

But on the flip side... some hens might just be that determined to lay! It's hard to say for sure without being able to scrutinize everything about the bird, their diet and environment.

As mentioned, you can lower the perches down, or even look at raising or creating a false bottom so there's less room to fall in case your tiel is that clumsy! And chicks often do tend to be clumsy! Could be made worse with clipped wings!

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Hi everyone :joyful:! Sorry if I'm posting way too often (I worry lol). I'm at the stage where I am finally ordering things for my new arrival and changing up dangers in my home. A question popped into my head this morning. The breeder I was looking at has DNA sexed the chicks. I can't decide between male and female :o:. I love the whistling ability of males but I'd prefer it not so loud 24/7 to the point where I can't even hear others talking beside me and my ears ring all day( doubt tiels can make that much noise but then again, never had one). I've also heard males are easier to train (probably not true but once again, not sure) I've heard females are quieter and more likely to be ok just sitting on your shoulder. Then I have to think about chronic egg laying which I don't think I'm ready for.

What do you guys think? Are there any notable differences between your male and female tiels? Which do you prefer? Are males ear piercing loud?

I know birds are going to be loud in general, some may not want to sit on your shoulder, some may never be trained etc. and I'm ok with that. I'm just wondering what your experiences are. Any comments/advice appreciated! :D

~ Estella :loveshower:

I have had 2 female tiels and now I have a male. The difference I see is that my male tiel sings but when he squeaks, he isn't any louder than the female tiels when they squeaked. My females were "talkative" with chirps. Bailey is much more active and adventurous than any of my other birds and also eats and poops more but noise-wise, he isn't that much different than the girls. My first tiel was a chronic egg layer which contributed to her death. Bailey also gets into everything and doesn't like to chill. But I don't know if that is because he is a baby. He has no fear. He will jump off of the cage and forget to flap his wings so I have to keep my drawers open so he doesn't hurt himself.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara

everything I’ve read suggests chronic egg laying is rare, but still happens sometimes. Our homes are perfect breeding environments. when my cockatiel shows signs of hormones, I move her cage to a new spot in the home, I change the perches, rearrange the cage, make sure she has to forage for food instead of being able to eat with no work. A busy beak is a happy beak. I’ve read if you remove eggs they replace lost eggs, which is why dummy eggs should be given. Sometimes a bird may have already been in a poor environment before you bought it. If you have tried everything, there is a shot the vet can give called Lupron. If nothing works, I’ve read some have had success letting the bird breed and take care of one clutch, then afterwords the bird lays less often.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I asked the vet about Lupron. She doesn’t recommend it.

Mine isn’t laying right now though. She got tired of her eggs and I removed that particular feeder and never replaced it

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I asked the vet about Lupron. She doesn’t recommend it.

Mine isn’t laying right now though. She got tired of her eggs and I removed that particular feeder and never replaced it
Maybe lupron is used as a last resort.(like a chronic egg layer that lays over 30 eggs in three months, extreme cases) but I am no vet. Just guessing , as some vets do use it.

glad to hear your birb got a rest from laying. Good luck :)