• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male vs Female tiel

RainbowFlo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Estella
Hi everyone :joyful:! Sorry if I'm posting way too often (I worry lol). I'm at the stage where I am finally ordering things for my new arrival and changing up dangers in my home. A question popped into my head this morning. The breeder I was looking at has DNA sexed the chicks. I can't decide between male and female :o:. I love the whistling ability of males but I'd prefer it not so loud 24/7 to the point where I can't even hear others talking beside me and my ears ring all day( doubt tiels can make that much noise but then again, never had one). I've also heard males are easier to train (probably not true but once again, not sure) I've heard females are quieter and more likely to be ok just sitting on your shoulder. Then I have to think about chronic egg laying which I don't think I'm ready for.

What do you guys think? Are there any notable differences between your male and female tiels? Which do you prefer? Are males ear piercing loud?

I know birds are going to be loud in general, some may not want to sit on your shoulder, some may never be trained etc. and I'm ok with that. I'm just wondering what your experiences are. Any comments/advice appreciated! :D

~ Estella :loveshower:

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Asking questions is the right thing to do. You're in the right place.

I really think it's a matter from 'tiel to 'tiel. Each has a personality likes/dislikes, habits...
There's no guarantee that either sex will behave the way it's "supposed" to.

Having said that, I've never had a 'tiel so I'll just tag a few people for you;
@sunnysmom
@Monica
@Tiel Feathers
@Khizz

Did I forget someone?

Do you maybe have photos from the visit to the breeder?
(We love those here ;) )

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Asking questions is the right thing to do. You're in the right place.
I agree. You have decided to come and ask questions to learn as much as possible before even getting a bird. When you get your tiel, s/he will be very spoilt and incredibly well cared for.

RainbowFlo

Real Name
Estella
Do you maybe have photos from the visit to the breeder?
(We love those here ;) )
I'm so upset! I took photos when I went a few days ago on my old phone, went to my friends house to show her the pics and when I put my phone down, her golden retriever Hugo ran with the phone and dropped it down into the toliet before I could reach :arghh: ! Good thing I don't use that phone much. Can't be mad at such a cute little face though :xflove:Good thing is , I could ask the breeder to send me some pics! There all so cute it's hard to chose. They aren't ready to take home yet- way too young and I don't wanna mess with hand feeding- so I have lots of time to prepare :D

RainbowFlo

Real Name
Estella
These are the youngest :joyful: He also has some more grown baby tiels with most of there feathers but I think I'll go for the the youngest as I need to finish prepping. I'm also looking at another breeder with other baby tiels to find one that I really feel a connection to (please don't think I'm crazy lol).

Attachments

mak

I can't tell you the diff between males and females as I only have a male. I can tell you that while he does sing and whistle quite a bit, it's by no means all day - mostly at the beginning and end of the day. And while most of the noise he makes is relatively on the quiet side, he can call quite loudly. Getting him as I did after only experiencing budgies, I was quite taken aback by the noise, but it's also what's endearing, entertaining, and downright cute about him.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My first cockatiel, Casey, 19 years old, can be quite demanding of attention. She's not loud but she loves her head scritches! I haven't ever had a male that was as demanding of physical attention as her. (in another household, it could be the opposite!)

The males I've had I wouldn't say they were loud (mitred conures are loud. cockatiels are not! lol) but none have really demanded attention from me. The one male I have now doesn't really want physical attention but he does want to sing his heart out to me.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm also looking at another breeder with other baby tiels to find one that I really feel a connection to (please don't think I'm crazy lol).
That's not crazy! It's a great idea to hang out with possible birds first so that one can choose you, or you can find one with a personality you like. It can be as easy as just sitting near them, and then one comes to meet you and you're in love!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I wish we had more breeders like that here. I would love to add another parrotlet at some point
That's not crazy! It's a great idea to hang out with possible birds first so that one can choose you, or you can find one with a personality you like. It can be as easy as just sitting near them, and then one comes to meet you and you're in love!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Whichever bird you pick, please make sure he/she is properly weaned before you bring him/her home. Tiels typically wean between 8-12 weeks. Typically, meaning some actually take longer than 12 weeks.

As for male and female, I've only had boys. But I really think more depends on the bird itself than the sex. I was my first boy's entire world. He had to be touching me at all times, whether that was sitting on my lap or just leaning against my leg. He loved scritches and attention. My two boys now are more hands off but I think that's more because they weren't handled much prior to coming to me (they're senior tiels). But they're cute and a bit feisty. :) So although females are known to be more more "cuddly", boys can be sweet too.

As you mentioned, boys whistle and some can even talk. (My tiel Rosie, says "whatcha doin?" all the time.) I don't consider tiels loud at all. But I also live with a cockatoo. So it's all relative. As for chronic egg laying, I think that gets over blown. Most tiels are not going go be chronic egg layers. I think it's more out of all the parrot species cockatiels are more likely to be chronic egg layers rather than most female tiels will be chronic egg layers. Not true. And often it can be managed fairly easily.

I think the best thing to do would try to meet some tiels and see which one picks you. They will pick their person if given a chance. :)

RainbowFlo

Real Name
Estella
Whichever bird you pick, please make sure he/she is properly weaned before you bring him/her home. Tiels typically wean between 8-12 weeks. Typically, meaning some actually take longer than 12 weeks.
Defintely.When I first started looking into birds, I really wanted an egg because it thought it would "be easy and create a lasting relationship :facepalm:". After all the compilicated hand feeding threads I've seen, its a no go :lol:. I'm really worried I'll bring the bird home and it'll regress because I have no idea how to hand feed.

Thanks for the reply sunnysmom! I appreciate it :)

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Defintely.When I first started looking into birds, I really wanted an egg because it thought it would "be easy and create a lasting relationship :facepalm:". After all the compilicated hand feeding threads I've seen, its a no go :lol:. I'm really worried I'll bring the bird home and it'll regress beacuse I have no idea how to hand feed.

Thanks for the reply sunnysmom! I appreciate it :)
Eggs are always scams ;)

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
An excuse to gush about Jeff and Mabel you say? Alright then, if I must! :lol:

Jeff is my male tiel. He's not actually that loud, he sings in the mornings and in the evenings. Occasionally you get the louder noises like his car alarm impersonation, but honestly the other ones are quite pleasant to listen to? He's not great at talking/picking up tunes; he has learnt the opening 3 notes to Saria's Song from Zelda, that's it :laughing2: He is actually really shy and skitterish.

IMG_20200714_173857.jpg

Mabel is my female, and is not always that typical for a female. She is LOUD (she doesn't sing, so it's mainly just shrieks and chirps). She's incredibly playful, fiercely independent and cheeky! She's braver than Jeff, and she will do anything for a piece of millet!

A rare moment of peace:

IMG_20200714_174941.jpg

mak

An excuse to gush about Jeff and Mabel you say? Alright then, if I must! :lol:

Jeff is my male tiel. He's not actually that loud, he sings in the mornings and in the evenings. Occasionally you get the louder noises like his car alarm impersonation, but honestly the other ones are quite pleasant to listen to? He's not great at talking/picking up tunes; he has learnt the opening 3 notes to Saria's Song from Zelda, that's it :laughing2: He is actually really shy and skitterish.

View attachment 345919

Mabel is my female, and is not always that typical for a female. She is LOUD (she doesn't sing, so it's mainly just shrieks and chirps). She's incredibly playful, fiercely independent and cheeky! She's braver than Jeff, and she will do anything for a piece of millet!

A rare moment of peace:

View attachment 345920
You reminded me. Forget male and female, go for the one with the bigger crest!!!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hmmmm
My males (RIP) seem to have done a bit more singing than others here. Like alllll the time. The shrieks, ,which can be male OR female, are pretty loud. We had their cage by the TV in the family room for awhile - the birds tried to out-yell the TV! Finally they got their own room!

I now have 4 girls. They are all different. But all quieter than the males, except Clint was very quiet but he was like 28 when we got him.
1. Torrie, gives the loud whistle/scream when we go in or out of the house. Demands scritches, you can see her on my Youtube Bird Babble. (Moody Cockatiel is the video)
2. Spirit, quietest bird in the world, just wants to sit on your right hand. No, not your shoulder or lap, your hand so you can't get any work done.
3. Pearl, new about 2-3 months ago... supposedlly 1 year old... starting to like being on her person a lOT. She will scream if she can see me and isn't on me. I occasionally hear them all chattering together.
4. Pippa, sometimes will make the boy whistle but is a girl. She is noisier than Spirit, but only calls out occasionally. Wants nothing to do with people.

If I were to only have ONE and wanted cuddly or a shoulder bird.... I would get a girl.
If I were to only have one and wanted to teach whistle songs... I would get a boy.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I have three females and have had one male. My male made more whistles and chatty type noises, with the occasional words thrown in, and my females make more contact call noises. One of mine contact calls almost all day, but I find it’s easy to tune out. They all are in the main room of the house and nobody is a screamer. I don’t find them to be very noisy at all, but others might. Only one of my females has ever had eggs. It’s a little bit of a pain, but it’s nothing too hard to deal with. My male did not like hands, but that was just his own little quirk. My females all like some attention to varying degrees, but I think it depends heavily on the individual bird. I would go with whatever bird picks you or whatever bird you are drawn to regardless of gender.