• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male vs Female Tiel Body Shapes?

Raptor40

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cody
Weird question and one I haven’t found much info about, but is there any proof of or has anyone noticed a difference between male and female cockatiels in terms of body shapes?
My tiel Kobe, who I’m pretty sure is female, has a noticeably wider body than my other 2 tiels, both who are singing so I’m assuming are probably male. I also had another tiel who I’d adopted out who had a similar body shape, and that tiel didn’t make many noises either, so I’m thinking it could have been female too.

Also noticed a weird difference in eye shape too. I feel like female cockatiels tend to have more almond-shaped eyes than males, who have larger wider-looking eyes. Maybe that’s just my tiels. I’ve reared them all as chicks, so I’m probably bound to notice weird things like this (they’re literally my children at this point), but I’d just like to hear what you all think.

Buckthecoc

Meeting neighbors
I know female have barring on the bottom of their tails while males do not. When they're young both genders will have barring but I'm not sure if it's a clear indication.

Buckthecoc

Meeting neighbors
That's the only differences I've known at least I've had both Male and female but other than that I'd say they're the same.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
My Mimi’s coloration & vocalness always made me think she was male prior to getting her DNA’d, I think it just depends on the individual bird & the genetics at play. Her breeder even assured me she was male but alas, no dice. :rofl:
Mimi as a baby and matured:
19F9579E-6E97-407E-B100-27F2311DBE83.jpeg 9167CB7B-F859-4C8E-8965-07E7DE6F73E9.jpeg
Post photos of your ’tiels sometime, they just melt my heart :xflove:

Raptor40

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cody
My Mimi’s coloration & vocalness always made me think she was male prior to getting her DNA’d, I think it just depends on the individual bird & the genetics at play. Her breeder even assured me she was male but alas, no dice. :rofl:
Mimi as a baby and matured:
View attachment 344834 View attachment 344835
Post photos of your ’tiels sometime, they just melt my heart :xflove:
Wow weird how that happens with some birds! Did he bob his head and hold his wings out a lot too or sing to mirrors, or was it just the vocalisation? Wondering for mine. I have a strong feeling Dora is male, as he’s a pearl at the moment and has a very yellow head compared to Kobe, so I feel he’ll end up moulting into a normal grey like his Dad (time will tell I guess). I’ve never been sure with Chikka though. He’s noisy as ever (sings very well but also screams a lot) and nods his head but he was taken out for hand rearing very young due to stunting issues and I still don’t think he really knows how to bird yet lol. I don’t even know if he’ll end up being male or female or he’ll just end up being his very own special kind of gender haha. He’s... something else... his own species...:roflmao:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Wow weird how that happens with some birds! Did he bob his head and hold his wings out a lot too or sing to mirrors, or was it just the vocalisation? Wondering for mine. I have a strong feeling Dora is male, as he’s a pearl at the moment and has a very yellow head compared to Kobe, so I feel he’ll end up moulting into a normal grey like his Dad (time will tell I guess). I’ve never been sure with Chikka though. He’s noisy as ever (sings very well but also screams a lot) and nods his head but he was taken out for hand rearing very young due to stunting issues and I still don’t think he really knows how to bird yet lol. I don’t even know if he’ll end up being male or female or he’ll just end up being his very own special kind of gender haha. He’s... something else... his own species...:roflmao:
For Mimi, I definitely just went by her vocal ability in the first year and her head coloring. I had read all types of information that Tiel hens will be low-key and only chirp occasionally.. Mimi never got that memo. :laughin:
She, too, was weaned I feel a bit too fast compared to her siblings so that may be similarity to Chikka though she never bobbed her head excessively.
Nowadays there’s no question that she’s a female, even without her DNA test, since she’s still got her pearls at 5 years old and dabbles in egg laying during the hormonal seasons. She does belt out in song during the day but it’s mostly flock calls when I’m out of sight now.
Regardless of the stress-attack that is caring for a female Cockatiel, she’s an absolute love and I couldn’t of asked for a sweeter girl. Good luck with your babies! :heart2:

Avio77

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Minh Tran
I get that feeling too. I get so confused. When they are young you are like what gender are you. My bird looks at me and seems to say , seriously mom?

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can generally interact with tiels and know whether they're male or female. But I'm not sure if that's a look to them or their behavior, and I'm not 100% accurate (but much better than chance).

Raptor40

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cody
For Mimi, I definitely just went by her vocal ability in the first year and her head coloring. I had read all types of information that Tiel hens will be low-key and only chirp occasionally.. Mimi never got that memo. :laughin:
She, too, was weaned I feel a bit too fast compared to her siblings so that may be similarity to Chikka though she never bobbed her head excessively.
Nowadays there’s no question that she’s a female, even without her DNA test, since she’s still got her pearls at 5 years old and dabbles in egg laying during the hormonal seasons. She does belt out in song during the day but it’s mostly flock calls when I’m out of sight now.
Regardless of the stress-attack that is caring for a female Cockatiel, she’s an absolute love and I couldn’t of asked for a sweeter girl. Good luck with your babies! :heart2:
Mimi sounds gorgeous! I love when animals just completely defy gender norms lol. They like to make things difficult!
I do find it strange having a female tiel of my own. So many people talk about females as if they’re super dull and hostile when in reality I find female tiels can be just as friendly as their male counterparts, just a little grumpier sometimes.
Also their grumpy fits are kinda hilarious. My brother likes to bother Kobe a lot and now she constantly makes this whiny-screech and tries to bite him whenever my brother puts a finger near her. Teaches him right for trying to stir the birds up:lol:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mimi sounds gorgeous! I love when animals just completely defy gender norms lol. They like to make things difficult!
I do find it strange having a female tiel of my own. So many people talk about females as if they’re super dull and hostile when in reality I find female tiels can be just as friendly as their male counterparts, just a little grumpier sometimes.
Also their grumpy fits are kinda hilarious. My brother likes to bother Kobe a lot and now she constantly makes this whiny-screech and tries to bite him whenever my brother puts a finger near her. Teaches him right for trying to stir the birds up:lol:
Agreed! Female tiels can have as varied a personality as male tiels! Between Jeff and Mabel, she is the cheeky boisterous one and Jeff is the shy relaxed one. Sometimes I find it funny when people project human gender norms onto birds, me included sometimes! :laughing2:

Raptor40

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cody
Agreed! Female tiels can have as varied a personality as male tiels! Between Jeff and Mabel, she is the cheeky boisterous one and Jeff is the shy relaxed one. Sometimes I find it funny when people project human gender norms onto birds, me included sometimes! :laughing2:
Haha I know what you mean! There are definitely not too many gender norms in the cockatiel world! Jeff and Mabel definitely seem to break all of them!