• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male vs. Female personality and behaviour

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hi everyone,

I'm learning more about Preeno everyday and it's been really interesting!

I would like to know more about the differences in behaviour and personality of female and male budgies. I recently read here that male budgies do the head bobbing more than females. Is there any other traits/characteristics they show?

Preeno head bobs and talks to everything and anything now, it's so funny! :roflmao:

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Males are usually more interested in their reflection! I don't know much about females except I heard that they usually don't learn words as easily as the males do...

clarousel

Males are usually more interested in their reflection! I don't know much about females except I heard that they usually don't learn words as easily as the males do...
That explains a lot! Preeno goes crazy at anything shiny... like a wooden bead :wacky:

I'm guessing females would be less crazy..?

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
From what I've read females tend to learn tricks faster than males, and males learn to talk easier than females.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I really love having a little budgie hen :)

We actually wanted a male because we already had Finn and didn't want to worry about mating and eggs. However Charlie turned out to be more of a Charlotte.

Charlie does fit some of the stereotypes about hens- she is in charge of the food, and she is very feisty and definitely bossy with Finn. What I've read about hens is they aren't as friendly as males- this is not true in my experience. Right now, she is on my shoulder preening my face (thanks Charlie!) She's very gentle and sweet and loves her humans- and she lives Finn even though she bosses him around. She's super playful and loves toys. She dances (head bobs) a lot.

clarousel

I really love having a little budgie hen :)

We actually wanted a male because we already had Finn and didn't want to worry about mating and eggs. However Charlie turned out to be more of a Charlotte.

Charlie does fit some of the stereotypes about hens- she is in charge of the food, and she is very feisty and definitely bossy with Finn. What I've read about hens is they aren't as friendly as males- this is not true in my experience. Right now, she is on my shoulder preening my face (thanks Charlie!) She's very gentle and sweet and loves her humans- and she lives Finn even though she bosses him around. She's super playful and loves toys. She dances (head bobs) a lot.
She sounds adorable and sweet!!! I would boss my male around too hehe :shy: Preeno recently enjoys being on my shoulder and just staring. I can't figure out why though! Maybe he thinks his human is really insane :laughin:

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
She sounds adorable and sweet!!! I would boss my male around too hehe :shy: Preeno recently enjoys being on my shoulder and just staring. I can't figure out why though! Maybe he thinks his human is really insane :laughin:

I think Preeno probably just loves you! Budgies have lots of love!

clarousel

I think Preeno probably just loves you! Budgies have lots of love!
I think he may be becoming a velcro bird? Similar to what Lori D Pert said about Sam - wherever I go, he has to go too. Even if it's just a few metres away! :roflmao:

Funny how I never thought much about budgies and I'm learning so much about them now!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I think he may be becoming a velcro bird? Similar to what Lori D Pert said about Sam - wherever I go, he has to go too. Even if it's just a few metres away! :roflmao:

Funny how I never thought much about budgies and I'm learning so much about them now!
He very well may be! Flynn was a velcro bird before we got Charlie.

Have you thought about getting Preeno a budgie friend?

clarousel

He very well may be! Flynn was a velcro bird before we got Charlie.

Have you thought about getting Preeno a budgie friend?
Yes! I had a whole discussion on it on another thread, realised my cage is too small and also too much happening in my life now to get another :(

So perhaps next year when things are more stable and I have more space! At least Preeno seems happy right now :)

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Oh thats right, I had forgotten.

Preeno loves you!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Another thing I've noticed with having a hen- she is way more into chewing! I know budgies like chewing but she's extreme!

This is probably just her, but Charlie is also the first budgie I've had that uses all her toys very approproately. Chew toys are for chewing, bells are for ringing, ladders for climbing, swings for swinging lol. Flynn finds new and inventive ways of using everything and always somehow misses the point of what they are for. The 2 males I had also used their toys weirdly! My favourite is wearing their bells as a little hat!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Another thing I've noticed with having a hen- she is way more into chewing! I know budgies like chewing but she's extreme!
Yup! As soon as Blizzard discovered the seagrass mat wasn’t scary, it was on the cage floor in 3 weeks, while with just Kiwi would last forever. She also loves to peel the top layer off of corrugated cardboard for some reason :roflmao:

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Good discussion. Each budgie whether male or female has their own unique and distinct personality however there are some traits that seem more prevalent in males or females. Females DO chew more. I once had a little hen that chewed up an entire PVC mini blind. The WHOLE thing!! Turned it to dust! The attidtude thing seems to be more prevalent in females as well but I have had shy, sweet little hens. Males tend to talk more but Sam talks so this one is iffy. I've had little males who never talked. I've had males trust and play quickly but I've had females who are little gymnasts(Sam!!). The chipmunk sound of frustration is more likely to be heard from a female and chatter more from a male but Sam does both. She does NOT head bob however. She adjusts her crop and moves her head up and down but it's not the same as true male head bobbing. She IS vey much a velcro bird but that is mostly because she is a sole budgie bonded to us. Gender really has nothing to do with bonding or the ease of taming (trusting). Oh yes, females can be a wee bit feisty...lol. And rule the roost...lol. Males are generally put in their place quickly as well. Just the way it is in the budgie world.