• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male vs. Female behavior in Galahs

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
Is there a difference between male and female Galahs when it comes to behavior?
For example, ringnecks and cockatiels show distinctive behavior where males do a “dance” with heart wings and females bend and chirp when trying to mate.
what about cockatoos, and RB2s in particular?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Do you mean in order to differentiate whether a bird is a male or female, or for pet qualities?

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
Do you mean in order to differentiate whether a bird is a male or female, or for pet qualities?
No, not to really differentiate the gender. I’m just curious if they exhibit different behavior (movements) that are only gender specific?

As pets I’ve read that females do better than males due to hormonal issues being less prominent. But I believe it’s very individual from bird to bird and stimulation it gets or doesn’t get

Reactions: Ali

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There are no easy cockatoos of any gender. Males of the species produce testosterone. This generally makes them a more aggressive/assertive gender. They're usually more cunning than the females and generally a little bigger. Their "job" is to guard, protect, keep watch, alarm and defend.

Females are not unlike the males but generally more docile. Their "job" is to tend the nest and make babies. Their biggest problem is that they lay eggs. That is a nightmare unto itself. The healthier and better they are looked after does nothing but encourage the possibility of egg laying becoming a problem.