• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male parrotlet (Georgia) - needs multi-bird home

Mermaid

Meeting neighbors
I am looking for a home for my 2.5 year old green male parrotlet. I adopted him from a multi-bird family 1.5 years ago who were moving overseas, and my husband and I have agreed he would be happier in a multi-bird home. We are not in a position to get more birds, and have decided that rehoming him would be best for his quality of life.

A bit of background: although I work from home and am with him at least 8 hours a day, he is fixated on the birds on our window feeder. When watching YouTube videos of birds, he puffs up, preens himself, and does happy chattering noises. When we recently vacationed, his cage was on a dresser with a mirror and he instantly cooed to his reflection and bowed for scritches. We were shocked-- he'd never shown any behaviors like this since we'd adopted him.

I've worked with him consistently in the last 1.5 years, and he steps up readily, sits on my shoulder, and has never bitten. I love him to death: he's very gentle and pleasant-tempered for a parrotlet, but he is silent and still in our presence, and much more active and vocal when watching birds outside or on the computer... like a different bird. In his previous home he lived with a lovebird and a dove (all caged separately).

I'm located in east-central Georgia and would be happy to drive a reasonable distance to meet for adoption. He'll come with his large Prevue flight cage, play stand, many toys, dry foods, and chop if you need it. In case you're wondering, he's not a talker.

I'm not in a hurry for adopting. It's imperative he goes to a multi-bird home. Feel free to reach out with any questions - thanks.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Just because he sees and gets excited at the birds outside or on youtube videos doesn't mean that he would be happier then where he is right now. You have had him for a year and 1/2. Why uproot him again. Parrotlets are very territorial lil birds by nature. Many will aggressively take on much larger birds (even humans), and do not like other birds invading their space. I wish i could take him, I would in a heartbeat. But I live on an island that will not allow parrotlets. I had my girl (single bird home) for almost 5 years and had to re-home her because we relocated to Maui. I have so many regrets, its been almost 3 years, and I am still heartbroken. I miss her everyday. I hope you will reconsider.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would take that little guy in a heart beat. Unfortunately being in Canada that won't be possible. Sorry.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We are not in a position to get more birds, and have decided that rehoming him would be best for his quality of life.
Why not? It is no more work or expense to look after one small bird than it is two. It's actually less work because they look after each other.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Awe! Love these guys and miss mine. Hmm.......

Might have to ask the Daddy here about this cutie. We are in NC.
Yes! you need another mini "zon"! He is pretty cute!

Mermaid

Meeting neighbors
Thank you all for your messages. I don't know how to explain it best in words, but seeing the complete difference in his personality when he's around us vs. birds makes me feel that we humans are inadequate company for him. When he's with us, he sits completely still and silent. No grooming, no vocalization, almost like he's just waiting for it to be over. I've worked with him a lot using millet and other treats, as well as clicker training (which I finally ditched after about 3 months), and he just seems completely uninterested in wanting to interact with us. That being said, he steps up *perfectly* every time and doesn't have a mean bone in his body, so we're very blessed-- he doesn't fly away or act fearful. We just don't feel he's *happy*, because he's instantly like a different bird around any evidence of birds: happy little chirps, asking his reflection for scritches, etc. The first time we saw this behavior, we both remarked on how sad we felt to not give him the opportunity to be around other birds, as it's clear he wants to interact so much.

Why not? It is no more work or expense to look after one small bird than it is two. It's actually less work because they look after each other.
Hi there-- thanks for your question; it would actually be quite a bit more expense to have two birds, because parrotlets shouldn't be housed together. Would need a second cage, etc.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Thank you all for your messages.
Hi there-- thanks for your question; it would actually be quite a bit more expense to have two birds, because parrotlets shouldn't be housed together. Would need a second cage, etc.
You have to remember, even behaviors on dogs out places where other dogs are they perk up, are social and sometimes have fun. Then they go home to their homes with their humans.

Birds do flock together. I believe the most do wellwoth other birds. Some don't, giving my Amazons as an example. Adding another baby with a young almost 2 was a great thing. For them, someone to preen, someone to fly with, talk their language.

Then you have our Cockatoo. Our 2nd one, also a female. Both love People more then other birds. She puffs up when I walk past with one of the Zons. She has gone after both if given the chance to walk the floor to their cages. So they are off limits to her.

I had a male Pacific parrotlet as a singular bird up until he was 9. He was happy, chatty, active and was fine. They are quote reserved out of their cage. In their cage, that's their place. If given lots to do you will have a very busy bird.

Once the Amazons were here, they liked my parrotlet. They never tried to go after him in his cage. The Zons walked over his cage top, it was a play
Top they couldn't get near him.

Anyway, he lived to be 2 mos shy of 16. He did reside next to one of them day in and day out for his remaining 8 or so years.

Parrotlets are quite a mini Amazon in truth. More independent then you really think ;)

Last edited:

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Does he have a play area outside his cage? If not, it might help. Maybe he is just not a hands on kinda bird. My daughters parakeet, will just sit with us, but don't you dare touch him outside a stepping up. He came a long way just to step up. But in his cage he sings, and preens. He loves the outside birds too and gets all excited when he sees them.

Mermaid

Meeting neighbors
I had a male Pacific parrotlet as a singular bird up until he was 9. He was happy, chatty, active and was fine. They are quote reserved out of their cage. In their cage, that's their place. If given lots to do you will have a very busy bird.
I did not know parrotlets are typically reserved outside the cage. My guy is, whether he's on a shoulder or a playstand. But once he sees other birds he lights up.

Does he have a play area outside his cage? If not, it might help. Maybe he is just not a hands on kinda bird.
He does, we've got two playstands in different rooms. He'll also sit on a shoulder for good stretches of time.

Mermaid

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone, we are still looking for a multi-bird home for our little guy. Please reach out with any questions, if you're interested in adding him to your flock. Thanks!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Hi everyone, we are still looking for a multi-bird home for our little guy. Please reach out with any questions, if you're interested in adding him to your flock. Thanks!
I have not asked my other half. But he and everyone I know knows how bad I have missed my green bean Parrotlet who passed at almost 16 over 4 years ago.

I am going to ask him. He just bought himself a new car lol, so that means I must get something!

I will message you if he's on board with adding a littles to our flock. :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I have not asked my other half. But he and everyone I know knows how bad I have missed my green bean Parrotlet who passed at almost 16 over 4 years ago.

I am going to ask him. He just bought himself a new car lol, so that means I must get something!

Tat for Tat as they say ( eh...something very similar anyway... hee hee) I hope he says yes!

Mermaid

Meeting neighbors

Please do feel free to message me! I would love to chat more with you.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I actually agree with you. I think parrotlets are happier with like-minded friends. They're probably plotting to take over the world but hey! They're parrotlets.

It sounds like you guys are doing a selfless thing. I know you must love your baby dearly. Good luck.