• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male or female

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
I bought a pair of Lady Gouldian Finches yesterday, and I was pretty convinced they were male and female until someone on a Facebook group I'm in said it they both look male. They were paired together in the cage when I bought them, and they had to be bought together so I assumed they had to be male and female.
What are your guy's thoughts? Does this finch female?

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@finchly is very knowledgeable about Gouldian finches, and may be able to help you.

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
Thank you. I've had multiple people in different finch groups now tell me he's a male judging from the sharp cut off in color from yellow to white. My worry was that two males would fight together, but I've also been told otherwise, so I'm hoping that's the case

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
One of the mutations is sex linked, if I'm remembering it correctly, but I can't remember which sex! :lol: finchly will set us straight.

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
One of the mutations is sex linked, if I'm remembering it correctly, but I can't remember which sex! :lol: finchly will set us straight.
I did a loooot of research before getting my finches, but nothing prepared me for this :roflmao:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I did a loooot of research before getting my finches, but nothing prepared me for this :roflmao:
I used to breed bettas, and the terminology for bird genetics and color mutations is very, VERY different! I read it twice, and even inserted the terms I know, and I still wondered what I'd just read. There aren't sex linked color mutations in bettas, so that part was easy enough to understand...it was the multiple terms, and seemingly backward meaning that got me twisted.

I think it's your little black head that appears white that's sex linked somehow...either the head or the yellow back... I can't remember. AND I still can't remember which sex is linked. :lol:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Here i am! I can’t tell 100% from your photo.. what I CAN tell you is that the strong line from white to yellow means nothing! Going by the belly color I would say male. However I’m not seeing any. Red tip at all to the beak, is it red?

Play some youtube gouldians and see if they sing. It doesn’t matter, unless you are planning to breed. They’ll get along fine.

Be careful of the FB mob. You’ll find some real doozies in there.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I used to breed bettas, and the terminology for bird genetics and color mutations is very, VERY different! I read it twice, and even inserted the terms I know, and I still wondered what I'd just read. There aren't sex linked color mutations in bettas, so that part was easy enough to understand...it was the multiple terms, and seemingly backward meaning that got me twisted.

I think it's your little black head that appears white that's sex linked somehow...either the head or the yellow back... I can't remember. AND I still can't remember which sex is linked. :lol:
I too have bred bettas. No wonder i stay so confused! Lol

Black head is sex linked, so is red head ... so is green body and yellow body. The black head that’s white is due to yellow suppressing black.

And also we call an orange head a yellow head. :D

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I too have bred bettas. No wonder i stay so confused! Lol

Black head is sex linked, so is red head ... so is green body and yellow body. The black head that’s white is due to yellow suppressing black.

And also we call an orange head a yellow head. :D
:faint:

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
I think they're both singing. It's a bit loud in there when there's singing so I feel like it's two, but I'm going to watch them more closely next time. The yellow ones beak is all white for sure though. As long as they'll be happy together regardless if the yellow-back is male or female, I'll be happy.
And it looks like I have started quite the debate on Facebook over the gender :roflmao: I woke up to find people getting really heated with each other under my picture

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
Update:
I realized the singing I thought had to be coming from more than one bird was actually all from my one little boy. It's a good thing it's a pretty sound :lol: While he was singing I caught Clarice sitting on her perch and letting out some chirps. I am now pretty certain she is a female as first thought.

Mantis64

Update:
I realized the singing I thought had to be coming from more than one bird was actually all from my one little boy. It's a good thing it's a pretty sound :lol: While he was singing I caught Clarice sitting on her perch and letting out some chirps. I am now pretty certain she is a female as first thought.
Whatever the genders may be can I just say you have beautiful finches.