• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male or female

Chipster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dave
Hi all
I am picking up my blue throated conure next week as it will be ready for the outside world after being hand reared.
I have a choice of a male or female and I was just wondering if there are any differences in personality or adult colouring which might help my decision, to be honest I’m not bothered which one I have but just thought I would ask the question.

Also, when he or she comes into my home and into the new cage should I leave the bird settle for a few days without any interaction outside of the cage?
Thanks

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Congratulations on your new conure! Blue-throated conures are very rare in many countries, and I am not sure of any currently active members here who own them, however I could just be forgetting someone. There have been several members in the past who have owned them, and their threads are still here for you to read.

To answer your questions here, they are a monomorphic species, so the males and females look the same. While I have no first hand experience with this species, I would assume that they are similar to the other Pyrrhura conures in behavior. By this I mean that there is likely not much difference between the genders in terms of personality. The biggest difference is that females will most likely lay eggs at some point in their life with or without a male being present. This is something to keep in mind as with females there is always the possibility of egg binding.

Chipster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dave
Welcome! Congratulations on your new conure! Blue-throated conures are very rare in many countries, and I am not sure of any currently active members here who own them, however I could just be forgetting someone. There have been several members in the past who have owned them, and their threads are still here for you to read.

To answer your questions here, they are a monomorphic species, so the males and females look the same. While I have no first hand experience with this species, I would assume that they are similar to the other Pyrrhura conures in behavior. By this I mean that there is likely not much difference between the genders in terms of personality. The biggest difference is that females will most likely lay eggs at some point in their life with or without a male being present. This is something to keep in mind as with females there is always the possibility of egg binding.

Thanks for the reply, I wondered if the males would be less territorial and hormonal, thanks for telling me about the egg laying, I didn’t realise that.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
As mentioned, males and females are similar. Males can get just as hormonal as females. Males and females can talk.

If you don't want to deal with eggs, get a male. If you don't care, highly recommend keeping the hen flighted (may help prevent egg binding), feed a healthy diet and don't encourage hormonal behaviors. I would recommend this for a male as well, though.

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
The whole reproductive of females in any species and added risks, is one of several reasons I prefer males. Both genders has their ups and downs, but personality differs as well too, so its not a given either way. Someone convinced me last time I got a pet to get a female (not bird), I love her, but I do not plan a repeat.

But thats me personally, we all different, and to me I generally find the male "backsides" to be less stress then the female ones.

The whole this or that is easier is not quite accurate, be it breed or gender or whatnot, its only easier if it fits your personality, lifestyle and your reasons for having a pet.
And at end of day your the one who got to live with the descision.

Chipster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dave
Thank you for the advice, I opted for the boy and he is currently settled into his new cage and sleeping on top of his cosy hut, not really the idea but so long as he’s happy :)....I’ll try and take some pics tomorrow