• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male or female?

birds93

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone! I'm new here, just got my first cockatiel a few days ago and was hoping somebody might be able to give me an idea if it's male or female? He or she is about 4 months old and I was told it's a cinnamon pearl.

20200122_123128.jpg 20200122_123104.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Your tiel is very cute! (And welcome to the forum.) Female tiels will keep their pearls and males will lose them. So he/she's a bit too young to know, but after the first molt which will probably be in a couple months, you should be able to tell. Also, male tiels tend to be more vocal- whistling/talking than females but that's not definite.

birds93

Your tiel is very cute! (And welcome to the forum.) Female tiels will keep their pearls and males will lose them. So he/she's a bit too young to know, but after the first molt which will probably be in a couple months, you should be able to tell. Also, male tiels tend to be more vocal- whistling/talking than females but that's not definite.
Thanks! That's basically what I've been reading about them, but it's so hard to pick a name not knowing the gender lol!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Cute...my tiel radar says female... :dance4: but only the pearls know for sure & if they stay shes a she...

melissa68

Walking the driveway
I was one of the bird owners that HAD to know the sex before I could pick a name. I used this site Super easy; pick some downy feathers, mail them in, and in a few weeks you will know for sure. I just called him 'baby bird' until I got the results. I'm going to guess female though.

birds93

I was one of the bird owners that HAD to know the sex before I could pick a name. I used this site Super easy; pick some downy feathers, mail them in, and in a few weeks you will know for sure. I just called him 'baby bird' until I got the results. I'm going to guess female though.
Thanks, I was actually looking at that site yesterday! I'm tempted to try DNA testing. I've been thinking the birdie is female though. Pretty sure I'm going to name her Artemis - like the goddess, and if "she" turns out to be a "he" the name will still work, I'll just say I named him after the book series Artemis Fowl lol.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Oh wow! Can't help on the male/female question, but that crest!!! :heart: Welcome to the Avian Avenue - what a cutie!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I personally lean towards female for a few different reasons. Do you have any more pictures of 'her', including tail feathers?