• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male or female?

Barbara2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
I have a very sweet female parrolet, I feel she would like a bird friend, would it be better in the forums option to get a male or female friend?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
:bump7:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi there!
Please be aware (maybe you are already) that Parrotlets often don't get along, and sometimes even a matched pair can go wrong. One mate can kill the other. You can't house two males together, so your options are to get a male – female pair or get another female. Or to just plan on keeping them in separate cages. If I were in your shoes I would probably get another female. I find my females to be very sweet. However, one of my males does not know he is a bird, he thinks he is a person so he and the female he's supposed to be with have separate cages. They are fine coming out to play at the same time but they have to have separate homes. The other to get along great and live in a cage with very little bickering. So you just never know.

Of course, if they're not going to live in the same cage you can just pick the one you fall in love with.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
If you want to house parrotlets together, no matter the sex you need an extremely large cage. They house better in an aviary setting. These are very reactive and emotional birds. When they have an outburst is can escalate to very serious fights. The cage territory becomes very precious to them.

I have two boys, they are housed in their own cage. Each birds has his own flight cage. Sometimes they can play in the common area nicely. I have noticed it depends on the time of day. Midday is a very emotional time for my parrotlets, they do better out together in the evening. Though more often than not they fight. The problem with parrotlet fights is that neither boy wants to back down. They just continually react to the other and it intensifies. Males have killed their female mates before when housed in close quarters. So please keep it in mind. This species is not monogamous through life, they change mates. So sometimes they disagree with the human's selection and they want a divorce after a few seasons.

My parrotlet Neptune is very loving to other birds compared to my partner's parrotlet Picard. One day Neptune flew onto Picard's cage, trying to feed him. Picard bit Neptune's toe and wouldn't let go. Neptune was in a mad panic and before I could get to the cage to separate the fight. Picard had dislocated Neptune's toe and there was a pretty gnarly cut on the poor toe. Thankfully it wasn't broken. So the toe was realigned, the inflammation went down, and Neptune made a full recovery.

Did Neptune learn not to feed Picard? Nope.. he still thinks Picard requires some good home cooking. However Neptune is a little fearful of Picard.

I will say I think it is still better to have a few birds. Even though they aren't the best-est friends of all time..they still are flock mates, and chat to each other all day.

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Of course, if they're not going to live in the same cage you can just pick the one you fall in love with.
I second this! They will get enrichment having a flock mate to talk to all day no matter what. They don't need to live together.

Barbara2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
Thank so much for letting me know your thoughts On this. Loved reading about it. We all love our birds and for sure want the best for them.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have noticed it depends on the time of day. Midday is a very emotional time for my parrotlets, they do better out together in the evening. Though more often than not they fight.
:wideyed:

I never noticed the time of day mattered! Oh my goodness. Well except I'm always accommodating for some other bird - the tiels nap mid-afternoon, the finches go to bed at 6-6:30. I'm going to pay attention to this.

I will say I think it is still better to have a few birds. Even though they aren't the best-est friends of all time..they still are flock mates, and chat to each other all day
Agree. It's important to have someone who speaks the same language.