• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male or female

Is my bird a male or a female?

• Male

• Female

Results are only viewable after voting.

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Hi all,
I am attaching pics of my birdie's tail feathers. Its white feathers are clear but its grey feathers have a few yellow specks on it. Any idea about its gender? My bird is a fawn pied cockatiel. IMG_20191026_194927.jpg IMG_20191026_194824.jpg

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Unless your bird displays any specific male/female behaviors, you'll have to wait until your bird molts. Those clear yellow feathers will remain clear, and if male, the mottled feathers will become grey. If female, no changes.

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Unless your bird displays any specific male/female behaviors, you'll have to wait until your bird molts. Those clear yellow feathers will remain clear, and if male, the mottled feathers will become grey. If female, no changes.

Thanks @Monica , will wait till it molts .

Another thing this breed doesn't have any barring or dots like normal grey?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Mutation, not breed.

Pied is anti-dimorphic. This means that it can blur the lines between genders. Cockatiels are naturally a dimorphic species as the normal greys are easy to differentiate between sexes when adults. With the pied mutation, either sex could have a clear face (no grey) or a dirty face (grey face).

My first cockatiel is a cinnamon pearl pied hen. Her face is clear. She has her pearls. She also lays eggs.

CaseyLadder.jpg

I had another pied hen. She was assumed male by the people who found her (unfortunately for her...) and she did wolf whistle... however, males don't lay eggs! And she did have some female traits after all...

4c6f61a2.jpg

There's a higher chance of your cockatiel being female over male simply due to the cinnamon mutation, however you'll have to wait for either gender type behaviors or wait and see if the tail coloration changes at all.

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Mutation, not breed.

Pied is anti-dimorphic. This means that it can blur the lines between genders. Cockatiels are naturally a dimorphic species as the normal greys are easy to differentiate between sexes when adults. With the pied mutation, either sex could have a clear face (no grey) or a dirty face (grey face).

My first cockatiel is a cinnamon pearl pied hen. Her face is clear. She has her pearls. She also lays eggs.

View attachment 318539

I had another pied hen. She was assumed male by the people who found her (unfortunately for her...) and she did wolf whistle... however, males don't lay eggs! And she did have some female traits after all...

View attachment 318540

There's a higher chance of your cockatiel being female over male simply due to the cinnamon mutation, however you'll have to wait for either gender type behaviors or wait and see if the tail coloration changes at all.
Thanks Monica for the efforts you took to make me understand. Phew it's litte confusing though. :)

Was getting curious as it was showing some different behaviour which i felt was of a female . What ever the gender is , we love the birdie a lot . It has bonded so well with us that it thinks us to be birds. :D
Yesterday it was sitting on my shoulder and my cousin was trying to pick her, she was trying to bite him and was softly taping with beak on my shoulder as if asking him to go away .. Birdie just wants to play full day with toys and is very active.

Your birds are very pretty.. :heart: :hug8: