• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male or Female?

Shelby545

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelby
Hi I recently purchased a new cockatiel. It's a cinnamon pearly pied, or what the breeder told me it was. It's wing were trimmed unevenly. I have no idea what sex it is and 14751084527302059065266.jpg 14751085464111326654378.jpg 14751084527302059065266.jpg 14751085464111326654378.jpg I am also unsure of my other cockatiel which is a lutino, I believe.

Attachments

Marloz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I'm no expert on sexing cockatiels so I'm guessing both cockatiels are male, but don't trust my opinion

Shelby545

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelby
I'm no expert on sexing cockatiels so I'm guessing both cockatiels are male, but don't trust my opinion
I am not sure if you can see on the lutinos wings, but they havexchange spots but the lightingredients wasn't helping

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They very cute! How old are they? Male pearls lose their pearls after the first molt. However since he/she is also pied, he/she may retain them longer. This is a good resource: Sexing Cockatiels - Just Cockatiels!

Shelby545

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelby
They very cute! How old are they? Male pearls lose their pearls after the first molt. However since he/she is also pied, he/she may retain them longer. This is a good resource: Sexing Cockatiels - Just Cockatiels!
Thank you! He/she is about 8 month or so. And I was told the mother was a cinnamon pearl I believe and the father was a cinnamon peid. I wondered if both parents have the pearl gene they would only have regular pearls. But I have no idea how we cockatiel genetics work, so.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm going to say that your cinnamon pearl pied is a female.

He/she is about 8 month or so. And I was told the mother was a cinnamon pearl I believe and the father was a cinnamon peid. I wondered if both parents have the pearl gene they would only have regular pearls. But I have no idea how we cockatiel genetics work, so.
Depending on offspring, male is either split pearl or visual pearl. If all offspring are pearl, then male is visual pearl. If only some of the offspring are pearl, then he is split pearl.

If the mother is not a visual pied, then she must be split pied.

As far as your lutino goes... got a black light?

Shelby545

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelby

Depending on offspring, male is either split pearl or visual pearl. If all offspring are pearl, then male is visual pearl. If only some of the offspring are pearl, then he is split pearl.

I believe the mother was actually the visual cinnamon pearl while the father was visual cinnamon pied. Isn't it if both parents have the cinnamon gene the cinnamons can be either sex? Because isn't cinnamon sex linked? And pearl?

Shelby545

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelby

No I do not have a blackiss light...
Under its wings the spots are not on the secondary flights

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My information still stands.

If both parents are a visual mutation, then all offspring will be visual.

Your girl is a cinnamon pearl pied.

At minimum, both parents must be split pied. You said the male is a visual pied, therefore the mother is either split or visual pied also.

Cinnamon and pearl are both sex-linked mutations. This means that at least the father is a visual or split of both mutations. You stated the father is a visual cinnamon. He must also be visual or split pearl, then, too. Easiest way to know, since he's paired up with a cinnamon pearl, is whether or not all offspring are pearls.

I don't really care about the wing spots.... I was actually more interested in other areas.

Shelby545

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelby
My information still stands.

If both parents are a visual mutation, then all offspring will be visual.

Your girl is a cinnamon pearl pied.

At minimum, both parents must be split pied. You said the male is a visual pied, therefore the mother is either split or visual pied also.

Cinnamon and pearl are both sex-linked mutations. This means that at least the father is a visual or split of both mutations. You stated the father is a visual cinnamon. He must also be visual or split pearl, then, too. Easiest way to know, since he's paired up with a cinnamon pearl, is whether or not all offspring are pearls.

I don't really care about the wing spots.... I was actually more interested in other areas.
What would be the case if the mom was the pearl pied and the father was cinnamon?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
100% female then, if you mean to end up with a chick like you have.

Can you ask the breeder for pictures of the parents?

Shelby545

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelby
100% female then, if you mean to end up with a chick like you have.

Can you ask the breeder for pictures of the parents?
I still have not received any pictures but here is a recent picture of my cinnamon pearl too see if you notice any loss of pearl

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sticking with female unless anything says otherwise. :)

My first cockatiel, Casey, is a cinnamon pearl pied. Female without a doubt! :D

Shelby545

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelby

:) Thanks for the help. This morning my cinnamon pearl did the heart wings gesture and began to whistle and chirp in many different ways to my lutino. This this female or male behavior? And my lutino began to coo while I scratched its neck.

Shelby545

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelby

I've never heard or seen this type of behavior from both of my tiels.