• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male or female tiel? Rubbing vent on finger!

What gender do you think my cockatiel is?

• Female

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Male

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

KirstynR

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kirstyn
I got my cockatiel, Nibbler, from a breeder about a year or so ago. The breeder originally told us it was a male, but then checked again by feeling the vent and said she was a girl. Today we witnessed our birdie rubbing the vent against my fiance's finger for the first time. I have been researching and it seems as if our bird was doing it as males tend to enjoy, rubbing the bottom of the vent against something and not with the tail up and back arched. She has been tweeting off an on, but was not doing it while rubbing against his finger as I have read most females do while enjoying themselves. I have attached a few photos, and would love if anyone could give some informed input on your hypothesis of the sex of my cockatiel! Our bird talks all of the time and sings songs, but spends most of it's time speaking in phrases we have taught it. I know that I have read that females do not learn to talk much but generally just squawk. We were surprised when she learned to speak at a very young age, and learned our phrases so quickly...if she is really a male then maybe it would explain a few things? We have not done a DNA test, as I am unsure how to get one done!

Attachments

KirstynR

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kirstyn
Something else I just found out is that whiteface MALE cockatiels develop all white faces, and FEMALES develop all gray faces. The older our bird gets their face grows more and more white feathers (when baby face was all grey!) That photo I originally posted was from November of last year, and this photo is from today. Look how much more white is there now! I looked at older photos before November and Nibbler didn't use to have any white on the face. Thoughts?

Attachments

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Could you please post pix of the underside of the extended wings? Is your tiel making heart wings and whistling "breathlessly"? That's usually a girl. The boys are more song whistlers and are the ones who rub against the girls. I have to admit that I've never had a single male tiel, I've usually had multiple tiels at a time.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have a female that masturbates, and it's "tail up", although depending on where she's doing it, tail could be "down", but she's in a flat position, not standing up.

Sounds like Nibbler is a male, especially if the face is getting more white. I would question though how long ago you actually got him, as if it was "a year or so ago", then he should have full adult coloration by now.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's a little cutie. If his face is getting more white- although I agree with Monica, if he's over a year old I would think his face would be all white by now- and he's a talker- my vote is that you have a boy.

tielluver

Strolling the yard
Real Name
pat pritchard
boy, I think. the heartwings are only done by boys