• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male or Female blue front amazon

Channy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Channy
I would like to ask which female or male blue front Amazon should I adop?which one more clam and hormonal to deal with? And which one better talking ?
Thank you

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Do you have Amazon parrot?
Don't look to adopt any bird thinking they will talk. Some will never talk, you might get 1 or 2 words, maybe mimicking of sounds.

Yellow Naped Amazons appear to have the best talking vocabulary. Again, my Cockatoo maybe says hello and that's it.

My Amazons talk, words as in single or two at a time. Kazoo can talk in small sentences. Same, repeat things already learned. Hoosier barks like a dog. He is my best at repeating sounds.

As for sexes, both can be hormonal. I would get the bird that seems to choose you.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have an Amazon & he says less than 5 words but I swear understands every word in the english language...

He & I also have a bit of owner speaking Amazon & hearing the meanings. He has me well trained!!! :laughin:

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have an Amazon & he says less than 5 words but I swear understands every word in the english language...

He & I also have a bit of owner speaking Amazon & hearing the meanings. He has me well trained!!! :laughin:
Can you please post his photo? What is the species?

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
I have a female yellow naped amazon. She is very good at talking, singing and mimicking sounds, but a terrible whistler lol
I didnt choose her for talking ability, but I did choose a female on purpose. She is what some people call the hot 3 and while both sexes are hormonal,
the males can get quite nasty about it. My girl will be 6 soon and she gets her hormonal times but she isnt mean. I just avoid contact with her so she calms down.

I also agree with @Love My Zons dont get a bird just for their talking ability, if they dont talk you'll be disappointed in your pet. There is much more to Amazons, they are clowns and that was a big reason I chose one.
I would normally say let the bird choose you, but if you are getting one of the hot 3 Id get a female if possible. Im not saying males arent good pets, they are, they are just known
more for their hormonal outbreaks. Take this for what you will, she is my first Amazon and Im still learning all the time with her.
@melissasparrots @Clueless

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Mine were both dna males. MC (who passed away) wound up being an absolute love. He chatted.

Secret is more into whistling but comes out with odd things unexpectedly.... once telling a child to "let me out".

My guys get hormonal and yes, you have to prepare for that, they are wild animals.

I'm grateful though that I don't have to worry about egg binding.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have yellow napes. None of mine are great talkers, but I haven't noticed much of a difference between the sexes as far as talking goes. My females are more predictable and sweeter though. In terms of not flying off the cage to take a chunk out of whatever body part they can attach themselves to. Amazons tend to be pushy overall and with plenty of personality. The males tend to be a bit more than a lot of people can deal with. Females can be that way too, but normal people that are a little more committed than the average pet owner can have good success with a female. With a male, you have to actually not mind bleeding so much. Don't get me wrong, a female will make you bleed, just less often. And you are less likely to need the emergency room. They can still pick favorites though and be atrocious to the less favored human.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have yellow napes. None of mine are great talkers, but I haven't noticed much of a difference between the sexes as far as talking goes. My females are more predictable and sweeter though. In terms of not flying off the cage to take a chunk out of whatever body part they can attach themselves to. Amazons tend to be pushy overall and with plenty of personality. The males tend to be a bit more than a lot of people can deal with. Females can be that way too, but normal people that are a little more committed than the average pet owner can have good success with a female. With a male, you have to actually not mind bleeding so much. Don't get me wrong, a female will make you bleed, just less often. And you are less likely to need the emergency room. They can still pick favorites though and be atrocious to the less favored human.
Sounds like you met Secret!

paco's human

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
DeeDee
Paco's previous owner said he talks so much, is so Sweet lmao
Paco doesnt talk, hates everyone but me, and has handed scars out to most of the people in HIS house
The biggest bird I had before him was an indian ringneck, I was naively unprepared.
I've had him for 10 years, learned a lot, and wouldnt trade him for the world.
You are miles above the rest just asking the question. Thank you!

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
My male YNA talks up a storm. He turns 2 next month, and not only does he already have two or so dozen words/sentences, he sings songs that my wife taught him:

He won’t sing anything I try to teach him, like “You Got a Friend in Me” from “Toy Story,” but if you heard me sing, this is absolute proof of his superior intelligence.

Also, when I put my shoes on at a certain time in the afternoon to go to Happy Hour for a few beers (I’m retired and bored), he says, “I’ll be right back, okay!?”

My wife laughs her rear off at this, that he knows I’m going to the bar.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Buddy a DNA tested Male, says all of 5 words in human but, he does talk to me in parrot, tones & also beak. He's just under 30 yrs old. Body language is his biggest contribution to his language skills & it's all non-verbal. I love him till death fo us part (just the way he csme to me when my father passed on).

If he spoke NO human, I'd love him just as much, he's got "attiTUDE, personality, & spunk"... He makes me laugh & cries w/ me. He has Pizzaz, he's MY Zon! :xflove::swoon::heart2:

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
I have a 38 year old BFA male. Yes, he was very hormonal during his teens and early 20's. However, like someone else said, we never had to worry about eggs. My friend lost her Macaw to egg binding.

My Sam is not a great talker. But, he does talk a lot. Just in Amazon LOL. He says about 12 - 15 human words, but can communicate anything he wants in bird speak. I have had him all of his life, and never found him to be mean or nasty. Just acts like the intelligent motivated parrot that he is. If you remember that parrots are incredibly smart and have skills that we never thought about, you will be fine. Treat them like a small human and they will respond to you. They are not dogs, and cannot be disciplined like them. I almost have to reason with Sam, if you can imagine that! It has taken me all these years to learn about how to live with an Amazon, and I bet I am not finished yet. I would not, however, trade one single minute. It has been one of the greatest parts of my life to be allowed to spend time with this wonderful little person/bird. I hope you can say the same one day. Good luck. Anita.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Treat them like a small human and they will respond to you. They are not dogs, and cannot be disciplined like them.

Yes, about the displine! Reward the good & ignore the bad.... Or you will have a three yr old human on crack getting louder or biting harder just to spite you! :banghead:

Lady

Meeting neighbors
Are you SURE you want one that talks? The more likely they are to talk, the more likely they are to scream, as well. You also don't always get to choose what they say or when they say it. You can influence to a degree, and sometimes put a sound on cue, but they still have minds of their own. As others have said, sometimes they never talk at all, and may only scream or whistle or imitate cell phone rings.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If you're playing the odds, you're much more likely to have severe hormonal issues with a male. I have a female double yellow head; she can be challenging at times. I use a t perch to move her now. I've had her since she was 6 months old; this July was 25 or 26 years. I wouldn't trade her for the world. However, I wouldn't take a male yellow nape, blue front, or double yellow for the world, either. But that's my opinion.