• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male or female as pet

Denisa

Moving in
Real Name
Denisa
Hi, I know a lot about the sex of the amazons (positives and negatives), but i can't make a decision. I have experience with a small birds. In the house we live 2 generations - women (me and mum) and father. Much time with parrots will be with women´s part. Father at least. I'm afraid the female chooses one of woman and will attack the other. Male hormonal phase. I say about BFA or Double Yellow-Headed Amazon.

Please help

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I don't think male or female will change the affect on bonding with a specific family member. I think its most important to make sure the parrot is socialized with all family members right from the beginning, although how it all turns out will all depend on the individual parrot.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I agree, I feel that sex with Amazons doesn't matter. Hormonal Amazons both sexes can be challenging. Species can matter depending upon the amount of aggression they can possess.

It's a situation of Family involvement and so that nobody gets feelings hurt, some birds pick their Person.

Many Amazons are very good at being left to play on their own. They will seek attention as they want it. You have to give them their space and time.

Great species, but never overload or over stimulate them. I live with two, who are buddies, they get along but they get very jealous of attention to the other.

If attention is given to my Red Lored, Kazoo will bully him and dive bomb him while he's on my hand.

If Kazoo gets attention even talking to him, Hoosier will fly at me because he's not happy!

Knowing personality, likes and dislikes makes life very easy with these guys.

:)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Thank you. I think, the amazon parrot is not a good choice for us.
An older bird in it's 20's or 30's would be beyond the hormonal and crazy years.

Some Amazon species are lesser on the crazy realm, mine being two of those species.

A great small Amazon would be White Fronted, even Lilac Crowned, Mexican Red Heads are great too. Panama Amazons are pretty docile for a yellow headed variety.

I wouldnt give up if you really want one. Visit a rescue that has them. An Amazon is easily a bird that shows excitement with their eye pinning. I find pinning eyes here are mostly happiness and excitement. But never a full blown want to chew your face up lol.

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love my Mexican Red Headed. He is the smartest little guy but rarely talks because my Step Mom & Dad were fighting when someone should've taught him speech. His language learning to speak years were lost due to lack of training during their divorce (IMO). That being said I haven't found a word he didn't know or learn the english meaning of.

He is mild tempered but was a single person bird after the divorce. I socialized & trained the bad Zon things away, but there is a little bit of reading that I did for that. :wacky: There is also a body language thing that says everything but you must learn it.

I too, recommend an older bird from a rescue. My Dad commented that during puberty there was either a feather barbering issue Buddy did to himself or a mutilization thing that remedied after puberty. @Kenzie is the only other active member that may have info that.. I personally know here on AA w/ this species.

Buddy has all his feathers now & is around 27 yrs old. This are more recent pics of him.

20191104_183449.jpg

20191104_183420.jpg

You can see his new swing he's getting for Xmas from California bird nerds. Hopefully he'll use it even w/ a bit of a bad eye when it hangs in his cage. He has every feather & they grow perfect. He & my daughter are my whole world. :joyful:

Attachments

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Female all the way if you want a blue front, yellow nape or double yellow head. Sex doesn’t matter as much for the other species. For the three I listed, you want a girl. People that say it doesn’t matter probably don’t live with a male of one of those 3 species. Males can and will be hormonal until very old. I have an over 30 arthritic male nape that wants to kill me. Any bird can play favorites. No guarantees either sex will get along with more than the favorite person. Females are more likely to though. If they don’t, they are less likely to jump off the cage and attack the less favored.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
I have a female yellow nape and she is great. Ive had her since young so shes been socialized will all the family. I am her favorite, but she loves my wife and daughter as well.
She will let you know when not to pick her up or mess with her, tail flares out and eyes pin and she paces. She rarely does it, but has her moments, usually when the vacuum is going lol
We also adopted a female Orange Wing whe is 20 now. She is a female only bird for sure and loves my wife. I can occasionally pick her up but its rare. She does nt bite at all will just
move away from me if she doesnt want to interact with me.

They are great birds so dont get too discouraged or give up on them. Not a day goes by that ours are doing something to make us laugh. They love to entertain you.
@Rain Bow Buddy is so dang pretty.

My girl Lucy being sweet
lucy bd 1.jpg

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lucy looks like a little green luvbug! She has the prettiest eyes!!!