• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Male lovebird is vomiting seeds out

parrotman

Strolling the yard
Alright, I Heard some seeds dropping, i uncovered his cage and i saw him vomiting seeds out and i called my vet and he said to give him activated charcoal, After i gave him some activated charcoal he stopped vomiting(the same thing happened to my female lovie last year), preened himself and his mate,i turned the a/c on to heat the room and then he fell asleep,he was eating normally and drinking normally before, and then the charcoal wore off and he started to vomit again, i did as how the vet suggested and he stopped vomiting once again, is it possible that he has something stuck in his throat which is causing him to vomit?
His poop was a bit watery but other than that it was normal
How should i go about making an electrolyte mix?, We don't really have anything similar to Pedialyte here.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are you sure he was vomiting or could he have been regurgitating? Vomiting looks uncontrolled with head shaking and seeds flying everywhere. Regurgitating looks more controlled like he's forcing something out of his throat.

parrotman

Strolling the yard
He was vomitting. He has stopped now after i've changed his food, i recently tried a new brand, I Suspect they had insecticides/pesticides in the millet

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you have access to coconut water? That is a natural electrolyte drink.

Otherwise:

Dissolve 1/2 tsp of salt and 2.5 tbsp of sugar into 1/2 cup hot water, then add 3.5 cups of cold water (so you'll have 4 cups total). You can store it in the fridge a few days.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I was of the belief that activated charcoal is not helpful at all for nausea and is only really used when toxins or drugs are consumed and their effects need to be lessened and the ingested material needs to be passed through the system without it being further absorbed by the body. My understanding is the charcoal absorbs the toxins/medications from the gut- I have never heard of it being used to help sickness or nausea before and I was of the belief that it can actually cause nausea.

I wonder why your vet suggested the use of it for your bird, do you think your bird may have consumed something it should not have or do you think that is what your vet thinks?