• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male Ekkie Sighting_Sunshine Coast Qld

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
If anyone has lost their male ekkie near me, he might be near my home at the moment.

I was able to hand feed him bits of apple, but he has been harassed by my resident busy miners who are protective of this place. I am not certain if this bird is wild, but it is not common to see them in my area. I believe he has experience with humans. He really seems to want to be near me. He was also making sweet little ohh and ahhs when I was hand feeding him apple. If he wasn't scared off I would have been able to bring him inside.

The goal is to get him to a vet for a micro chip read, and go from there. However he is nervous so I am not sure I will have success. he seems very hungry, feather quality seems poor...maybe he has been lost for awhile?

I will keep trying to coax him.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Well very sadly he was chased my Miners again. He flew out of my sight. I quickly tossed some long clothes on and went searching in the bushland , but didn't see him again. I started playing Ekkie calls from my home to try and encourage him, but it got dark. So I am worried about him spending another night outside.

I will place more fruit out for him tomorrow. He almost stepped up for me. I was able to touch his beak when I offered him fruit earlier. Poor little guy. I do hope he finds home.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:angel1: Prayers he stays safe and you're able to get him checked.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
This morning my partner woke to a crying baby sound outside of our house. He thinks it was the little Ekkie, but he didn't see him anywhere. We put more fruits out for him and will hope he shows up. My partner now wonders if maybe he was intentionally abandoned, maybe when he started mimicking the crying human babies they got fed up with him.. I really hope this isn't the case. Fingers crossed he comes to us, we will do what we can to get him to a vet and find his home.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
If you have a spare cage you can leave outside with the door open to it and a bowl of food and water in it he may go in to eat. If you can rig something to the door to close it while you are out of sight that might be your opportunity to catch him. It'd be interesting to see if he would be comfortable going in a cage too.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
OMG I think I found the owners, a posting for a lost bird in the area. We are calling them. FINGERS CROSSED! -Same beak markings as the one I was feeding.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh gosh, I really hope you have found his owners and they are able to get him to come to them. Fingers crossed!!

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Wow how long was he missing??

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
So he was one lucky little guy, he was only out for about 1.5 days. His owner ends up being a neighbor who lives on the other side of the council bushland. So now we have connected and once all the COVID stuff calms down I am going to spend some time with her birds :) So the nice part of the story I get to connect with other bird people in my own community.

Also I can confirm he was not the bird who was crying this morning, the one that sounded like a human, as the little ekkie made it home late last night. Apparently after I fed him and the miners chased him again he flew near enough to his actual home to get found right as the sun was setting. Weird how these things happen.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Also I just want to point out that Parrotalert really worked in this instance! I posted a sighting of the bird, there was also a posting of a lost bird. The beak was identical. It is SO awesome that we have a way to get info out and get our birds home so efficiently. I wish this was around when I lost my Petrie back in '05.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
What a great story! We got ours back once. We posted Lost on Facebook, someone posted found on Craigslist, and some kind soul sent me a screenshot asking if that was my bird!