• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male eclectus bonding and family relationships

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
My wife spent years researching parrots and came to the conclusion that the Eclectus would be best for our family. He was going to be her parrot. She promised the I wouldn't have to lift a finger to take care of him. We got him from a breeder after he was weened and he would lay on my wife's chest and loved being cuddled.
He is two years old now and he has always loved her. He coos when she come into the room and comes to the edge of his stand to get close to her as she passes through the room. It is almost ridiculous how he behaves with her.

After an unfortunate accident, he became fearful of hands, especially hers. After some nasty, scaring bites to my wife's hands and arms, my wife became extremely fearful of handling him. I saw the need to step in and start working with Toby even though he didn't like me much. It took a couple of weeks of target training and step-up training and he started accepting me as a flock member.

He is now over 2 years old and I have become the person shops at the organic market for his veggies, makes his chop, orders his pellets, feeds him, cleans his bowls and his cage, makes his toys, takes him to the vet, etc. In the morning, he calls for me to come get him so we can hang out. We have our calls back and forth across the house to let each other we're okay. His "human voice" sounds like mine (I talk in falsetto with him so he doesn't sound like an old geezer). He says "Hey Buddy!" when I get him up in the morning (not sure how he picked that up, I may have said it once when I walked into the room). I have no idea how his little mind thinks of me, but I guess to him I am his source of food, "entertainment" and companionship and his trainer. My wife will always be his "chosen one" but I am honored to be his "buddy". We just got to get Toby over the fear of her hands and my wife over the fear of his beak.

We have 3 young adult children in the house, and only one of my kids is a "bird person". Toby will step up for my son, but my son tries to treat Toby like his Nanday conure who's personality is completely different from Toby's. It usually ends with me having to rescue Toby from my son.

Toby is not a touchy-feely bird at all. He's never completely gotten over his fear of hands despite attempts to train him. He will step-up but wants to get away from the hands ASAP. His policy: "There will be no petting of any kind. No touching of feet. No touching of wings or any other part of my body. I may choose to stand on your hand for a few seconds, maybe".

Anyone else have stories and about how your eclectus interacts with your family members? Who is the "chosen one"?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Sounds like you love that bird! And that is good. :)
I've no Ekkies myself, but your bird sounds special, and full of personality.
I do know they have a more specialized diet, and our Ekkie experts will chime in sooner or later.
Any photos?

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Monaco flirts, and has a few people so far that she really likes, and you know right away by how she greets them. I can't really discern the difference between the people, and some of her choices make no sense to me at all! She is also a hands off bird, although I have been asked to touch her head once and I was allowed to touch her cheek once. I've been going very slowly with the cheek thing, and it's usually just a light touch on her beak...followed by lavish praise, of course! There are also choices about other animals. The bottle goat in the house was given a pass on the screaming and subsequent grumpies. A puppy I babysat for two nights was given no quarter! Poor thing was brand new and only wanted to eat and sleep. The rescue dog is a big hit, with wheeee and c'mons and kisses. There's no rhyme, but I'm sure she has her reasons. She loves my mother.
As I get past my fear of the beak, she seems to get past her fear of my hands. I can usually tell the difference now between "hey! I don't like that" and "see this weapon, lady?" I didn't get any serious bites, but am still scared about it happening. Her previous person did get some severe, scarring bites.

Last edited:

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
My wife spent years researching parrots and came to the conclusion that the Eclectus would be best for our family. He was going to be her parrot. She promised the I wouldn't have to lift a finger to take care of him. We got him from a breeder after he was weened and he would lay on my wife's chest and loved being cuddled.
He is two years old now and he has always loved her. He coos when she come into the room and comes to the edge of his stand to get close to her as she passes through the room. It is almost ridiculous how he behaves with her.

After an unfortunate accident, he became fearful of hands, especially hers. After some nasty, scaring bites to my wife's hands and arms, my wife became extremely fearful of handling him. I saw the need to step in and start working with Toby even though he didn't like me much. It took a couple of weeks of target training and step-up training and he started accepting me as a flock member.

He is now over 2 years old and I have become the person shops at the organic market for his veggies, makes his chop, orders his pellets, feeds him, cleans his bowls and his cage, makes his toys, takes him to the vet, etc. In the morning, he calls for me to come get him so we can hang out. We have our calls back and forth across the house to let each other we're okay. His "human voice" sounds like mine (I talk in falsetto with him so he doesn't sound like an old geezer). He says "Hey Buddy!" when I get him up in the morning (not sure how he picked that up, I may have said it once when I walked into the room). I have no idea how his little mind thinks of me, but I guess to him I am his source of food, "entertainment" and companionship and his trainer. My wife will always be his "chosen one" but I am honored to be his "buddy". We just got to get Toby over the fear of her hands and my wife over the fear of his beak.

We have 3 young adult children in the house, and only one of my kids is a "bird person". Toby will step up for my son, but my son tries to treat Toby like his Nanday conure who's personality is completely different from Toby's. It usually ends with me having to rescue Toby from my son.

Toby is not a touchy-feely bird at all. He's never completely gotten over his fear of hands despite attempts to train him. He will step-up but wants to get away from the hands ASAP. His policy: "There will be no petting of any kind. No touching of feet. No touching of wings or any other part of my body. I may choose to stand on your hand for a few seconds, maybe".

Anyone else have stories and about how your eclectus interacts with your family members? Who is the "chosen one"?
A long post and no pictures? :rofl:

Sound lovely! We need pictures!

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
You asked for it! You got it, for what its worth. We are up in my work room. I do like that the picture shows he is accepting a kiss on the beak without pinning his eyes. He is completely relaxed and wants some interaction.
He is a rather large red-sided Eclectus (aka New Guinea Eclectus) from a "clean" blood line. He has some black banding on his feathers from the stress of having construction done on our home when he was younger. There was no just place to keep him from the noise and we didn't know better at the time. He has some bald spots here and there as well. You can see some spots around his neck where the feathers don't cover well. Otherwise, he is a healthy, happy bird.

Yeah, I love him as much as a man should love a bird :) I really do. Thanks to my wife for bringing him into our home.
I've always been an animal lover, But I find it overwhelming how a little animal like Toby can occupy such a deep place in our hearts and lives. As he would say "He's a good bird!".

TobyKiss.jpg

Last edited: