• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male Conure Plucking himself and female

debz2207

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Debra
Hello all.
My female gc conure is now 2.5 years. When she was 1 we added a young pineapple conure, who turned out to be male. They have been caged together and are well bonded. All has been wonderful, until our male hit 1. Since then he has begun over pruning to the point of plucking. He has plucked all the feathers on his body and his shoulders, leaving the grey, downy feathers alone. He is also plucking our female on the head, chest and under the wings. Again, leaving the grey, downy, under feathers. She doesn't seems to mind, but I know it can't be healthy.
We put them in separate cages 4 weeks ago, putting them side by side, so they are still close. They are both happy and the females feathers are coming back in lovely. The male however is continuing to remove any new feathers as they come in. They get time out of the cage together, but have to be closely watched as the male will try to pluck her if he gets the opportunity. Last week, he has started to gently pluck my daughters and my hair also! I'm wondering if it is a hormonal thing since he is at sexual maturity. But I'm at a loss as to how to deter him.
He has daily baths, shredding toys among others. Plenty of attention and out of cage time.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
It can start and be hormonal and unfortunately I have not had any luck with getting Giggie to not pluck Carlton and herself. The paroxetine certainly helps Giggie with her mutilation problems but I doubt she'll ever stop plucking and poor Carlton is okay with being trimmed up. He would rather be plucked than apart. Get a vet check and if all is okay health wise, ask if you can try paroxetine. Certainly wouldn't hurt.

debz2207

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Debra
It can start and be hormonal and unfortunately I have not had any luck with getting Giggie to not pluck Carlton and herself. The paroxetine certainly helps Giggie with her mutilation problems but I doubt she'll ever stop plucking and poor Carlton is okay with being trimmed up. He would rather be plucked than apart. Get a vet check and if all is okay health wise, ask if you can try paroxetine. Certainly wouldn't hurt.
Thank you! I will definitely look into that. X

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
The dynamic chewed duo…Giggie is the almost naked one. Carlton is just the innocent bystander.

BE62A4F4-7DFB-41C0-9669-7B2582967E5E.jpeg 0E9DFE4E-9F12-4CC1-8285-FECB54880BB0.jpeg