• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Malakai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Hi all, can somebody please help me. Malakai (quaker) was very itchy/scratchy this morning, so I gave him a mist spray then dried him off and I saw a reddy colored patch on his back. (This is the third mist since I got him 10days ago) The best way to describe it - it looks like eczema, very red and very dry (not bleeding) The feathers in this area are also very rough looking (but they were wet), he also has that terrible wing clip and it is in this area. He also has heaps of pin feathers. Is this normal moulting? Do birds suffer from eczema? Or does he have dry skin that he has picked at? We were at vets last Monday and it wasnt like that then. It is midday on Sunday here and the a-vet doesnt open till tomorrow morning and dont know of any emergency a-vets in this area. He seems "normal" (vocal, eating, perching, not puffed up). What can I do to help him, if in fact I need to? I am a very worried momma right now, more worried than he seems to be.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you post a pic?

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
I dont know if these are clear enough
Kai sore back one.jpg Kai sore back two.jpg
Skin is also very dry and dandruffy looking. He doesnt seem too worried, hasnt scratched since I misted him. Skin is not punctured (almost like a graze, not a cut, surface only)

Last edited:

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It is not real clear but it appears he may be plucking. Normal molting does not cause that much redness. Maybe add some Red Palm Oil to his diet. Mist once a day with Aloe/water mix.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
... I gave him a mist spray then dried him off and I saw a reddy colored patch on his back. ...
Was there anything in the mist spray besides water and how did you dry him off? :hug8:

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
Thank you so much Judy. I sort of thought it might be that but as yet have not seen many loose feathers (only 3 since I got him), he stops scratching after a mist, it just looks so sore though. He is probably "stressed" he has had some big changes in last 10days including a-vet, travel, new home and cage, new people, diet etc. (I even mentioned to a-vet that he seemed to scratch mainly one area on his back, she looked a saw nothing then). Who wouldnt be stressed? Might ring the a-vet tomorrow if it still looks inflamed. Where do you get red palm oil please? Also ratio of aloe vera to water? Thanks again for your quick response, I do feel better.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think maybe a skin scraping might need to be done too. 50/50 aloe water is what I use. I believe you can get RPO from a health food store or mysafebirdstore.com carries it.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi,

A couple of questions to gain some insight on what is going on. What do you feed your bird? Does the water in your area have chemical like chlorine or salt? Like Marie asked, how did you dry him?

Judy's suggestions of the aloe-water mist and red palm oil would be very beneficial. Between now and the time you see your vet, should any large amount of blood occur, pack the wound with a paste of cayenne pepper and water. The cayenne will stop bleeding should there be an emergency.

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
Thanks everyone. I mist spray with straight water (only warm enough to take the chill out of it, so its not hot or even warm)
He is being converted from a cheap bird seed to pellets and fruit and veg diet, doing it how the vet advised, to ensure he is getting enough to eat, as he is on the little side at 102gm (vet didnt say he was underweight, just little) I am sure the water has chlorine in it, so will go and get plain spring water to give him from now on. Will definitely go to vet (if appointment avail) tomorrow as I work Tues, Wed. He is currently eating his pellet/seed mix as I type this, but is very quiet (arvo nap time here, all 4 birds are quiet, so thats normal) I dont think he was washed/misted at his old place at all. He came here very itchy and smelly, so I have misted him every few days when the itching gets worse and then he stops it for awhile, the smell has gone. He is not bleeding nor has it bled at all. He has also not lost many feathers, but the ones near his "sore" are very scruffy looking. Look out vet - here we come, better to be safe than sorry.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Lynne, do you let him air dry or pat dry with a towel or use a hair dryer? The latter can dry out the skin too much even when on the coolest setting and can irritate an already sensitive skin condition. :)

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
Well, we are back from the a-vet. Kai is on antibiotics. The vet said he does have some sort of skin irritation. The weird thing is, you cant see it when he is dry, you have to wet him to see how nastyit is. It also looks like a larger area than yesterday He was very quiet yesterday afternoon, didnt seem to be eating much, fluffed up, just not the same boy he has been. Has to be on meds for 5-7 days and if there is no improvement by tomorrow arvo, he has to go straight back to a-vet (apparantly it takes about 24hrs for meds to kick in) and be admitted to birdy hospital. Also, if he keeps scratching his back, he may need to be collared. Vet said not to use aloe vera at this point, tap water is ok to use, and to keep him warm and calm. This little guy is causing me so much stress, hardly slept last night. Also asked about emergency vet care and she said that many 24/7 vet clinics have vets that can treat birds. Apparantly, a-vets are popping up all over the place here which is good. The two times I have been, there have always been a number of other clients, its a well established, highly regarded a-vet. He had put on some weight but I am sure he has also lost a little bit in the last 24hrs, so he is doing well with conversion to pellets but because he is not well and not eating as much, the vet said he can eat whatever he wants (to Kai that means SEEDS - yum yum) thank you everyone for your help and advice. I dont know how I would have coped yesterday without you. PS, this vet has an amazon and a galah. She is the only Aussie I "know' with an amazon, WOW!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name