• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

making toys, safety question

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I do a mix of buying toys and making toys for my and my friend's CAG. Wood blocks are a favorite for both.
I had been using leather to string blocks and beads, and that works great for Louise. Grady un-knots the end and watches the blocks/beads slide off. He does like to chew up the wood, but is undoing the knots in the leather. I bought some small chain from one of the vendors here, and it would work to string toys-and I have seen that used with other toys. Since is it the smallest, or close to it, links, I am worried about toes getting caught in the links. If chain link isn't safe, any ideas to stump a bird who likes to take apart knots?
thanks

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bobber was really into undoing the knots also. Could barely keep anything together! He couldn't undo paper rope as easily as the leather, though, so I started using that for most of his toys.

The chain should be fine; you just don't want long pieces of it exposed is all.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Stainless steel skewers are great for knot lovers also!

Get the Expandable Habitats Style though. Jingo and Bobber would unscrew everything else :lol:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have seen some people thread leather strips through the chain links to stop the toes going through.

I have no idea if this works or if it makes the chain any safer.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You can also put the thinner leather through each of the chain links or cover exposed links with beads.

Doctress

Strolling the yard
I think Smoky Blue has fat toes- they don't fit through even a medium chain link. He grips them pretty hard- "plays" by smashing the toy chain into his face and biting at it. Great fun for a CAG I suppose...

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I use metal chain and either a bell without a clapper or a metal ring on the bottom. Keep in mind that my babies are all medium or smaller. Even so, the Sun chews through more than I like to admit and the GCC is a prolific untier. Their first month was spent unhooking chewed up and untied toys.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
great ideas. going to test out a few including the skewers. Just worried as he got his toes stuck 2 different times, once on a toy and once in the door.
thank you for the help!