• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Making toys from household and collected items?

Dragooness

Sitting on the front steps
Little snot destroyed the only toy (well the chew-able wicker stuff) as soon as I gave him it. :bash:Last owner swore he never touched toys. Need a few things to hold me over for a week and a half until I can get paid again, already planning an order from Cali Bird Nerds!

So out of things native near me I have yucca and bamboo I know of. The yucca here seems thinner than what is used in the toy making industry. I think its a smaller species is all. The bamboo should make a darn good swing.

Any other growing things I can use? Maybe cattail?

I know toilet paper tubes, as well as paper towel. Shredded newspaper. Paper cupcake tins (NO WAX)... any other things?

Thanks for yall's help :heart:

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
There are quite a few things you can pick up at the Dollar Tree that are acceptable toys also to hold you over. A small bird only pencil sharpener and some plastic or paper straws can make some pretty fun toys. Cardboard is also a good destructible. Dixie cups cut so you can put them in on themselves with a treat and krinkle paper (again Dollar Tree) can make a fun foraging toy as well. If you use facebook I would recommend looking for some bird toy making groups since they have files on safe stuff as well usually. :D

Dragooness

The dye in the paper is not unsafe? what about the dollar tree raffia? I can spare 10$ to hold him over. But good god he DESTROYED it. Such a happy baby :dance4:

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
The dye in the paper is not unsafe? what about the dollar tree raffia? I can spare 10$ to hold him over. But good god he DESTROYED it. Such a happy baby :dance4:
Stuff like this is safe, as long as it isn't the plastic kind, paper only. https://www.dollartree.com/voila-crinkle-cut-red-decorative-paper-shreds-2oz-bags/195262. Raffia is fine to be played with, but, it needs to be short because it doesn't break easily and is a strangulation risk. Tissue paper isn't safe though because glue is used in it. Oh, you could also just get plain old coffee filters too!

Dragooness

Oooo. The rafia was for stringing. I used to do this thing with cupcake papers that drove my tiels NUTS. String one, use a bead or something to make a gap, string anther.. on and on. Then dump seed in the many many folds. May try that with this guy, I can knot the raffia.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Raffia I only use in small sections as it is unforgiving if it gets wrapped around a leg.

From the dollar store: coin wrappers, paper straws, puzzle pieces, some of the baby shower plastic charms, the willow wreaths.

My quaker also loves qtips.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Raffia I only use in small sections as it is unforgiving if it gets wrapped around a leg.

From the dollar store: coin wrappers, paper straws, puzzle pieces, some of the baby shower plastic charms, the willow wreaths.

My quaker also loves qtips.

I don't like the thin raffia from the Dollar Tree. It smells like dirt & sort of musty. I'd avoid tbis one, if it's from dollar tree not because of the dirt, but the musty type of smell. Although, I did try it w/ beads & it wked well. I like the crinkle paper from there. But alas, not Buddy's scene.

The paper straws work great!

I got a large tube of cupcake thingies @ walmart. Really cheap compared to our grocery. But you can't go wrong w/ Ann's stuff from Cabirdnerds. Check the site though because I believe shes got a week or 2 where the shop is closed, coming up soon!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Paper towel tubes & coffee filters.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'd skip toilet paper rolls and make your own with poster board/card stock, or use cereal boxes instead.
Kitchen towel rolls are good alternatives. They can be cult in half to be the same size as a toilet paper tube.
I always have a toilet paper roll or two in my living room that I use to clean up after the birds etc and so they are safe/clean.

Check out DIY Drive | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum for toy making ideas :)

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I always have a toilet paper roll or two in my living room that I use to clean up after the birds etc and so they are safe/clean.
We tend to assume they are. I love science which has made me more keenly aware of my surroundings. Me? I stick my fingers down into the tubes to peel off a bit from the roll and my hands aren't always spotless ... unless it's on a roll holder I assume they're not suitable for bird toys. It's just not worth the risk to save a few pennies.