• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Making things less stressful for Budgies

RandomAcct

Moving in
Hi guys! This is my first post here :D

around 3 months ago I got 2 budgies, they’re named Pepper and Snowdrop. I’m not so sure what gender they are, Pepper’s cere is white and Snowdrops is light blue-purple.

They still aren’t too trusting of me, though they stand on my hand to eat millet sometimes

I’m probably gonna ask a lot more questions in the future, but for now I’m wondering how to do things that may be stressful for them. Recently their cage cover (a green towel) has been falling off a lot, I want to put it back in place but they panic when it moves, it’s definitely scary for them since I’m reaching above them. Would it be better to do it quickly and be done with it, or be more careful?

They’re bought from a pet supply store (Petco), and don’t eat anything other than their seed mix and millet. Was wondering if there are any tips for what I can do about that? I’ve given them oats, spaghetti, quinoa, and all sorts of fruits and veggie.

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
The only way I get my Pi to eat anything other than seed - I mix everything together. It works for him - he often comes out looking like a murder scene when berries are added in lol! It means some food gets wasted, as you can't leave it out after the seeds been mixed with the rest, but it's hard for them to eat just the seeds when they are coated in other yummy foods.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
(a green towel) has been falling off a lot,
Poke a hole in the corners of it, then thread a SS keyring hoop or something through and clip it to the cage.
Or find another sheet to use?
Make sure the top of the cage is in the middle of the sheet you use, this way it shouldn´t move.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
In my estimation, the slower you move around budgies, the better. I move slow anyhow, so this is not a problem for me, but I even move exaggeratedly slow around them. So when you put the towel back, do it veryyyy slowly. And maybe try avoiding eye contact too, that sometimes will make new little ones nervous.