• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

MAKING my own seed mix?!

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I hear that quinoa needs to be rinsed especially for small birds but I can't remember the reason. There was another issue with flaxseed but then again I can't remember. Anyone? :bounce4:

Also I give:
Rolled oats
Millet
Sesame
Quinoa
Ground up hazelnut and almond
Ground up pellets

To my guest budgie from time to time.
Interesting, so it wouldn't be bad if I just left out the flax? If I do need to add flax I already have some ground flax I can just sprinkle on top each feeding. Interested to hear why it might be bad!

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Interesting, so it wouldn't be bad if I just left out the flax? If I do need to add flax I already have some ground flax I can just sprinkle on top each feeding. Interested to hear why it might be bad!
I don't know actually I should look it up. I remember someone saying that it would be fine if you ground it up.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Just found out. Just because the shell is hard and its hard to digest you should grind it a little.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Just found out. Just because the shell is hard and its hard to digest you should grind it a little.
In that case, I will probably just not get the chia, flax and hemp mix. I can sprinkle some ground flax on top each feeding. Thanks!