• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Making my own perches

Shear Modulus

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, I’m currently trying to make my own perches and here is the method(s) I’m using.
I have live and dead branches from a willow tree.
I looked up 2 guides, one said to soak the branches in a mixture of 1 parts bleach to 10 parts water, which I did for 15 minutes, and another said to bake them as well. I’m going to do both to be on the safe side.
I rinsed and am soaking them for 20-30 minutes.
Then I will bake them in the oven at about 300 degrees for 20 minutes.
Is this okay or does anything need to be changed?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
It should be good, the main thing is removing any bugs or possible diseases from other birds. Are you certain the tree wasnt treated with pesticides?

Boom

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Mihai
Hi, I’m currently trying to make my own perches and here is the method(s) I’m using.
I have live and dead branches from a willow tree.
I looked up 2 guides, one said to soak the branches in a mixture of 1 parts bleach to 10 parts water, which I did for 15 minutes, and another said to bake them as well. I’m going to do both to be on the safe side.
I rinsed and am soaking them for 20-30 minutes.
Then I will bake them in the oven at about 300 degrees for 20 minutes.
Is this okay or does anything need to be changed?
Hi,
I cleaned with hot water and soap without scent. And baked in oven at 200 Celsius for 10 minutes and it burnt the wood. Whatever was less than 10 mm thick was almost destroyed and had to cut it off by shortening the perch. My take on the temperature and time.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Mine are too long to put in an oven so I washed them in the bath with dish washing up liquid, rinsed well and then soaked them in bird safe F10 solution. For my huge branches in the aviary I just sprayed them with F10 solution. Let them dry, hosed them down, then resprayed with F10.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
300 degrees is hotter than i did. I used 200 for 30 min. Left in oven till cool.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Give them a good, long soak for a few hours if possible. A long bake to dry them out at low temps too. If you have a long branch, cut it in half. There are double sided screws that you can use to screw them together for a long perch again.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Mixup between Celcius and Farenheit in here somewhere.
@Boom this forum is predominantly North American. When 300 degrees is mentioned it should be taken as Farenheit. 200C = 392F. 200F = 93C.

Boom

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Mihai
Mixup between Celcius and Farenheit in here somewhere.
@Boom this forum is predominantly North American. When 300 degrees is mentioned it should be taken as Farenheit. 200C = 392F. 200F = 93C.
Well my bad! I gave up on oven cooking the wood necessary for perches and toys. I cut the wood from my own garden where I know there's no chemical sprayed throughout the year long. The soap alone should be able to kill the mites and critters on the bark which after soaking I scratch it off.
Thanks for the heads up!