• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Making my own oxygen incubator

sgyoung

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah Young
Hi, everyone. My sun conure, Poncho, flew into a door 2.5 weeks ago and has been struggling to recover from his concussion ever since. He has been on metacam this whole time and has had 3 oxygen treatments (brought him in today for his third one) since then. The oxygen really gives him a boost and returns him to a completely normal state, but it seems to wear off after 2 days and he becomes really wobbly and unbalanced after that. I have read several posts on here about people making their own at-home oxygen incubators and I would like to do that for him. There is a medical supply store near me that I would like to rent an oxygen concentrator from. I talked to the vet tech who picked Poncho up today about the fact that I wanted to do this and he seemed a little skeptical but said he would have the vet call me about it later today, and I was wondering if there is any more information I should know before I do that. I want to be ready with all the information I need to explain my plan to him. I thought you needed a prescription to buy or rent an oxygen concentrator but the vet tech said he didn’t think you did. I’m afraid of the vet also being skeptical about it, although he is a good guy so maybe he will be supportive. Anyway, I just feel like there is more I could be doing for Poncho, and I hate seeing him like this, especially after seeing how normal and healthy he is after an oxygen treatment.

My plan is to get a big transparent plastic tub, line it with towels, and cut a little hole in it for the tube to go that connects to the concentrator. I know that oxygen concentrators just use the air around them and don’t require an oxygen tank. Will this be able to produce a high enough saturation for Poncho’s needs? I am thinking a couple hours in the incubator every day would be enough to keep him in a healthy, normal state.

sgyoung

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah Young
I am also wondering if there is any kind of plastic I should avoid for the tub? I am worried about off gassing and if that could harm or kill my baby.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Rubbermaid Sterilite any plastic clear tub

017E62A7-428F-4FE7-819F-C1C5F6335E3B.jpeg 30E58508-683B-4999-969F-83372AF7F634.jpeg 9D1C47EC-CA5C-4F09-8B5B-FEB112C228F3.jpeg

sgyoung

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah Young

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
thank you!! I think I saw your set up on another thread! It seems like the Devilbiss concentrator is very popular and would be available at most medical supply stores? Is it very loud? And is there any special way that you sealed where the tube goes into the hole in the tub?
Tube fits the drilled hole exactly or you could use tape to secure it. There’s a 5 second loud alarm at the beginning then it’s quiet

sgyoung

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah Young
Tube fits the drilled hole exactly or you could use tape to secure it. There’s a 5 second loud alarm at the beginning then it’s quiet
thank you so much! I have been so stressed out the past 2.5 weeks but I feel like there is some hope now to get him the consistent treatment he needs. The hard part will just be calling around and finding that model or something similar and trying to get one ASAP. What saturation do you usually use? Of course I will also double check with the vet, but am just curious.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
thank you so much! I have been so stressed out the past 2.5 weeks but I feel like there is some hope now to get him the consistent treatment he needs. The hard part will just be calling around and finding that model or something similar and trying to get one ASAP. What saturation do you usually use? Of course I will also double check with the vet, but am just curious.
My vet said 1.5 or 2 liters per minUte for a Quaker size bird. Really perks him up!

sgyoung

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah Young
My vet said 1.5 or 2 liters per minUte for a Quaker size bird. Really perks him up!
ok, thanks! Just one more question is it true that I would need a prescription from my vet to rent an oxygen concentrator? I want to start calling around as soon as possible.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
ok, thanks! Just one more question is it true that I would need a prescription from my vet to rent an oxygen concentrator? I want to start calling around as soon as possible.
When I bought mine my vet called in the prescription. Or you can give them the vet’s phone number and they can verify you’re a client at the clinic.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I live in AZ and I have bought two oxygen concentrators over the years and did not need aprescription either time - check with your vendor to see before you go to the trouble of gettng a prescription.

I bought both of mine from Used & Refurbished Oxygen Concentrators for Sale | Home & Portable and found them great to work with. I bought used because, for a bird you don't use it all that much and those concentrators are built to go 24/7 forever. I think @saroj12 bought new and she can tel you the price.

I believe it was Airsep that bought out Devillbus a few years ago and the Devilbuss are getting harder and harder to find. I have gotten good use out of both of my Devillbus. My current one is exactly like this one.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
From vitalitymedical. They required a prescription. The first machine popped hose#33 from the schematics

sgyoung

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah Young
My vet called and was extremely supportive of me setting up my own in-home oxygen. I have found several used concentrators on Facebook marketplace for under $200. My only question is what is the difference between % saturation and liters/minute? The vet was saying to only have poncho in it for 30 minutes at a time every few days. Was he assuming that is because an oxygen concentrator would be a very high saturation? Poncho stays all day on oxygen at the vet at 30% saturation. Some of the portable machines I have seen only have 30% saturation as the highest setting. Whereas this one that i saw used for only $200 delivers nearly pure oxygen. Which would be better?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
There are numbers in the article relating flow rate to % saturation

sgyoung

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah Young
There are numbers in the article relating flow rate to % saturation

that is so confusing to me as this machine does not exceed 5 LPM (it only has a range of 1-5 L/minute) and yet it says the oxygen saturation is 90%. I will ask my vet about it. Sorry to keep pestering you with questions

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
that is so confusing to me as this machine does not exceed 5 LPM (it only has a range of 1-5 L/minute) and yet it says the oxygen saturation is 90%. I will ask my vet about it. Sorry to keep pestering you with questions
No problem. Not sure I’m helping. The machine says saturation is 90%? I’ll go look around for better info. Brb

sgyoung

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah Young
No problem. Not sure I’m helping. The machine says saturation is 90%? I’ll go look around for better info. Brb
You have helped so much! But yes, it says it delivers 1-5 LPM at 90% saturation.