• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Making home smell nice

Tajra

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone,
I really need help from you guys. The flat I am currently living in is old and the person who lived here before smoke a lot. And even though the walls are newly painted (a year ago more or less) there is still frowsty, oldish unpleasant smell. It is in our hair, our clothes, everything. We open windows on a daily basis but that doesn´t really help. I can´t really smell it but my partner can and she is really depressed and angry about that. She already kinda hates my bird and even more because we can´t use any air sprayers. I would truly appreciate any tips on how to make the home smell nice that are safe for bids (I was thinking some bird-safe plants that have a strong pleasant smell but I don´t know any or use herbs somehow but I don´t really know how...) Please help.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bi carb soda sprinkled around and left for a while before being vacuumed up often helps.
Vinegar and water - half half can be sprayed to help remove odours.
I like to put cinnamon sticks and orange peels into a hot pot of water and simmer gently to freshen the air. You can use other safe things like rose petals, fresh mint, lemon peel if you prefer. Just check they’re bird safe :)

Oh you’re going to get so many other good ideas for air freshener from the members.
An air purifier would also be a great help.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Bi carb soda sprinkled around and left for a while before being vacuumed up often helps.
Vinegar and water - half half can be sprayed to help remove odours.
I like to put cinnamon sticks and orange peels into a hot pot of water and simmer gently to freshen the air. You can use other safe things like rose petals, fresh mint, lemon peel if you prefer. Just check they’re bird safe :)
These are the best things :)
Also leaving a bowl of vinegar out will absorb smells.

Is this place furnished or has curtains of some other sort of fabric? Strange the smell lingers after painting :( Sorry you guys are having a bad time with it. Hopefully these things help you :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
FALL AND CHRISTMAS SCENTS:

Apple Spice
: 1 tablespoon of cloves, 3 cinnamon sticks, 1 apple sliced into wedges and 1 cup of cranberries.

Winter Wonderful: Peel of one orange, 2 teaspoons dried nutmeg, I teaspoon vanilla extract, 3 cinnamon sticks, and two 1″ thick slices of ginger (for a variation, add a 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract).

Pine Forest: 1 sliced lemon, and a handful of fresh pine needles.

SPRING AND SUMMER SCENTS:

Italian Spring
: 1 sliced lemon, 1 handful of basil sprigs, 1 teaspoon of black peppercorns

Island Getaway: 1 tablespoon of coconut extract and 2 sliced limes.

These are some idea for pot boiling on your stove. Have you changed the filter in your heating/AC system? Charcoal is also a good absorbent of odors.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's amazing how quickly my kitchen air purifier can eliminate fish smells, etc.

I'd recommend everything stated above too, sprinkle baking soda on furniture and rugs, then vacuum, vinegar and water to wipe up surfaces, boiling cinnamon sticks in a pot, washing any fabric like curtains. I add baking soda to detergent to wash clothes that are stinky from sports.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Is there carpet in your flat? If so, carpet retains cigarette smells. I moved into my aunt's house after she passed away from lung camcer. She smoked 5 packs a day. Even after washing and painting walls and cabinets the house still stunk. Then I cleaned the carpets. Wow, what a difference! I only use oxyclean and hot water, no carpet cleaning stuff.