• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Making a first aid kit

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
I'm ashamed to admit I don't have one for my two lovebirds.
So I'm making a list and collecting the things I already have. I would love some input, advice or guidance.

I put it mainly in two categories. One is our own first aid kit. So everything we need ourselves is going in there. And the rest I put in a separate (next to each other) case.

These are the things besides our own that I made a list of for the birds (according to google):
- nail scissors
- cotton swabs
- vaseline
- formula (which one should I get?)
- syringes (what size should I get?)
- pipette
- crop probe
- syptic powder
- iodine
- alum stick
(all bandages etc are in our own)

Let me know what is still missing and what i should ditch. I just want to have the things at hand when something happens, so I can do what I can between now and going to the vet. On business hours I can be there in 30 minutes.
I would appreciate advice!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Tweezers and/or mini pliers
Powdered pedialtye

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I'd get two different types of hemostatic agents to stop bleeding, just in case the one you have either a: can't be used (some are only for nails not skin) or, b: the first one you tried doesn't work like it should. ie: hemablock or yunnan baiyao

The syringes I've been given with medication are 1ml and marked to .1 ml. I'd have a few larger sizes like one for flushing an area and feeding.

I've never had to use formula, but I have used "Abba greens 92" which can be made up into a slurry or porridge depending on how much water is added as a way to medicate some of the birds.

I'd add single dose sterile saline vials and a couple of hand towels that the bird can't get snagged on.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
A lot of what's missing can be added from here: