• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Makes Lovie

spork

Moving in
Real Name
Bri
Hey folks,
I've got a male lovebird who's just plucked the last of his tail feathers while I was out today. He's also pretty bald everywhere else apart from head and wings. I usually can see him do it and clap to get him to stop but I can't be home all day. I've tried many different things I've read on here but the closest avian vet is 4 hours away. His mate is perfectly fine, not picking, very healthy.
My boy (Tari) is still chirping, singing, flying, bathing, eating perfectly fine. He is happy and only seems to do real damage when I'm not home.

Any tips?

Thank you folks!

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
Maybe add some foraging opportunitys in there to keep him busy and to slow down the plucking such as sticking his favourite treats into a toy. There are also lots toys espacially made for pluckers that you could try.

spork

Moving in
Real Name
Bri
Maybe add some foraging opportunitys in there to keep him busy and to slow down the plucking such as sticking his favourite treats into a toy. There are also lots toys espacially made for pluckers that you could try.
I've got a bunch of forging stuff in there which I rotate but he won't touch them unless Cass (his mate) does. He's also got an egg which has treats in it which he LOVES and plays with a lot.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
but the closest avian vet is 4 hours away.
Maybe you call them and ask to help you locate a closer vet?

Could be something like polyfolliculosis.

spork

Moving in
Real Name
Bri
Maybe you call them and ask to help you locate a closer vet?

Could be something like polyfolliculosis.
I gave them a ring when it started and they said to bring him up or they couldn't do anything but they weren't sure how he'd handle a 4 hour drive. :( I'll give them another ring and explain, hopefully there's one closer, I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere tho.

thanks, I'll give them a ring.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yea that is a long journey :(
Maybe if there´s no other options, you could make the journey stopping every hour and get some bloodwork done - if you do that, let them know you are coming and for exactly what and that you are coming from far away.

spork

Moving in
Real Name
Bri
Yea that is a long journey :(
Maybe if there´s no other options, you could make the journey stopping every hour and get some bloodwork done - if you do that, let them know you are coming and for exactly what and that you are coming from far away.
I rang the vet and they suggested I take him to a university training vet so I'm booked in there tomorrow. It's still an hour away but much better than four hours.