• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Make my own Bird Stand?

parrotkid

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlin
Hello,

I am in Australia and I read in another thread we won't be able to get Java wood here.

I am wondering what any alternatives would be and where to find nice branches? I was thinking Gumtree/Eucalyptus wood but not sure where to get it.

Thanks

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A friend and I made a stand/playground using eucalyptus. Someone was cutting down their tree and my friend asked the person for some of the cuttings.
Don't live in Australia, though, so don't know where to recommend that you get branches from but if you get them from someone's cuttings you need to
be sure they are free of insecticides and also clean and disinfect them. Even if you buy them from a website you want to be sure that they haven't been treated with insecticides and find out how they were cleaned and then just to be sure clean them yourself, too.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Apple trees make great stands. Nice natural configurations and very durable wood.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do you know anyone who lives in the country or owns property? I am in country Victoria and I have access to lots of Eucalyptus branches, where are you situated in Aus? Just wondering if I might be able to help you out.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Another thought I had was that lots of places in Aus have Bottle brush trees on the nature strips, maybe just do some light pruning of the nature strip trees?

parrotkid

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlin
Do you know anyone who lives in the country or owns property? I am in country Victoria and I have access to lots of Eucalyptus branches, where are you situated in Aus? Just wondering if I might be able to help you out.
Yes I grew up on Properties actually, but currently live in the city. I'm in North Queensland though.

In regards to bottle brush, probably not my preference as the branches are just too brittle.