• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Makala, Catalina Macaw w/scoliosis & a deformed hip plus knee. {LONG W/PICS}

susand

Jogging around the block
Real Name
susan
None of us was on these boards while we raised Makala. We had alot of help from a breeder that just found her videos on youtube & reached out to us. Along with her avian vet'S she has 2 special one's - and 2 regular ones.

When she came to us, the vet'S were 50/50 about surgery to help her- but at 2-3 weeks, she was perfect age to heal .... also perfect age to loose her on the table because she was so young. So we all prayed at church with her - and put it in gods hands of what we really needed to accepct for her.

We all (vet'S, Fla breeder friend we made & church) came together as a family for 1 decision for her. Which was to allow her to be her, and we adjust our life's to her needs if/when she needed. We've all tried to not treat her like she has a disability, we encouraged her to do everything evey other parrot could/does do with as little extra special things made as possible!

Really - she has exceeded so many of our expectations. The 2 special vet's she had really told us she had no chance to walk. HAHAHAH Little did they know her determination along with her family's.

We came across so many little mile stones. Starting with standing on her good leg (which is missing a toe so its not perfect) for only a few seconds all alone - to now, she can/does stand for at least an hour on it LoL!

Her only issue if anyone needs to call it that. Is that she isnt able to move about as easily as others with out the aid of her bar's & the extra chain for her bad leg to hold to ect.

So now, She will be 2yo on Laura's b-day (which is why we KNEW she was meant to be with us!) in April.... We want badly to get her a tree gym or a flyer, an orbit or something. Not just to sit on, something we can add things for her to get more mobile on because she LOVES to get around.

Anyone else with "issues" like hers that has made/bought things along these lines I could really use the ideas. Laura & Brian want to get her the HQ 80x40 cage because that will give her the largest/safest space to get around & park ontop where she loves to talk to everyone & act like the directing queen she is lol!

I am going to share a couple of pictures of her, because really you cant tell she has issues until you meet her.

The day we got her -

The photo that made us fall in love. Just pulled out of the nest - and we were on our way as soon as we saw this

susand

Jogging around the block
Real Name
susan
In the last photo, which actually was the 1st one we ever saw. You can see her constricted toe that laura had to cut off just a couple days after we got her. And the deformity in her leg. Only in x-ray can you really see her scoliosis thankfully its very mild.

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
Susan I can see why you fell in love with her what a beautiful baby :heart:

susand

Jogging around the block
Real Name
susan
This was taken in early Feb '10. Laura fell and actually broke her hip & both feet. After her hospital stay she had to go into a nursing home for a very long time.

Many times makala came along to lift her spirts & get handfeed by her special momma. This is a box she's used since birth - you can see her beak marks all around it - she loves crawling around/in the box ... and she still has it!!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
wow Makala is going to be 2 already!! :dance4: She's a very special girl!!!

susand

Jogging around the block
Real Name
susan
YES its amazing, she didnt stop handfeeding until she was about 14 months - she did want a thing to do with water, our family was scared for her. So we had to keep feeding her for her H2O intake ... then one day boom she tasted water w/some ACV and thats all it took LoL! Shes our doll baby,

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:heart: such a wonderful girl!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Aaaaawwwwww.... what a wonderful story!!!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
What a great story! And what a beautiful bird she is.:heart: Thanks for helping to raise this special sweetie pie Susan.:hug8:

susand

Jogging around the block
Real Name
susan
Im glad youve enjoyed a little of her story! I didnt want to get to boring into vet details - but let's say this "free" bird has cost more then her price @ store in vet bills alone!! LOL Her formula alone was 29.00 a month for 14 months *she did eat about a bag a month* NOTHING is ever free - but she has dedicated herself to us as much as we have her & that IS what matters IMO! hugs all around & im glad you liked the story Carole

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what a wonderful story..bless y our heart for giving this beautiful girlie such a wonderful and loving home

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a wonderful story...Makala is beautiful

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a sweetie pie,thank you for sharing her story with us.

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
She is beautiful! Your story is so touching. She is a miracle because of you. :)

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
what a beautiful story and bird :heart: I swear birds with special needs dont know they are different, and their fellow flock members never treat them any different either!!

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Do you have any recent pics of her legs? She is gorgeous. :)

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
She is soo pretty.. :) I love happy endings.. :heart:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I just got caught up on reading this thread!:D:hug8:
Great job and she is a beauty!:dance4:

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Makala is now living at my home..she is a silly girl...im saving up to buy her a n Atom my handicap Blue and Gold loves hers,i put Makala in it and she loves it,sha can sit,sleep and play in it,but had to give it back to Treasure:(..ill get her one soon tho...:D