• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Makala, Catalina Macaw w/scoliosis & a deformed hip plus knee. {LONG W/PICS}

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad she's in your capable hands, Tanya :hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:heart:Susan what a special girl Makala is.......such a a beautiful story.

Birdy_in_VT

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
That is indeed a great story. We know exactly what you went through as we are raising a baby grey and was faced with the same decisions. We also decided to just let him be him and God will lead us and we will adapt as things change. I would love to see more pictures of her!

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
I'm glad she found you, and you her.

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
What an incredible story.

Yeah Tanya, do you have any pictures to post of this cutie pie?? Huh Huh do ya huh? Enquiring minds want to know.:D

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne

FidFlock

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nikki
Special and so beautiful too :heart: What a precious, one-of-a-kind spirit...thanks for the story!

Allie

Moving in
Real Name
Allison Bokenkamp
Hi Susan, I was wondering if I could message you direct to get some advice about your journey with Makala. My chick ‘Jinx’ is 5 weeks old (I have only had Jinx for 5 days) and also has Scoliosis and Rotated (R) leg. I am very keen to discuss treatments that Makala had so I can give ‘Jinx’ the best possible chance I can. First image is the day Jinx came to us - the similarities are mind blowing

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi Susan, I was wondering if I could message you direct to get some advice about your journey with Makala. My chick ‘Jinx’ is 5 weeks old (I have only had Jinx for 5 days) and also has Scoliosis and Rotated (R) leg. I am very keen to discuss treatments that Makala had so I can give ‘Jinx’ the best possible chance I can. First image is the day Jinx came to us - the similarities are mind blowing
The OP hasn’t been online here for many years... I’ll tag some others who may be able to either help or point you in the right direction to get it.
@Hankmacaw @Macawnutz

Allie

Moving in
Real Name
Allison Bokenkamp
Makala is now living at my home..she is a silly girl...im saving up to buy her a n Atom my handicap Blue and Gold loves hers,i put Makala in it and she loves it,sha can sit,sleep and play in it,but had to give it back to Treasure:(..ill get her one soon tho...:D
Could you post a pic of Makala today? Do you know much about how her condition progressed to where she is now with the scoliosis and leg rotation? Please see my post below about my baby Jinx - I am on the hunt for knowledge on how to give my little one the best care and chance possible. Does she stand upright completely at all or lower to the ground?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm sorry that I cannot be of any help. I've never had to deal with physically handicapped birds, only ill birds.