• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Major Life Changes

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
My marriage is imploding so Sunflower and I are moving in with my grandparents. This will be a major move for her. She has been there before, but never overnight. She will have a night cage in my bedroom, but a day cage in the living room. She normally spends most of the day out of her cage, but she will only be able to be out of her cage while I am home. My ex husband was doing online classes, so he was home all day. I have to work during the day. Also, she is used to spending all day with him, and she won't see him much at all. Probably only if I need a birdsitter. He is moving 2 hours away. This is also happening much faster than I would like.

Any advice for making this transition easier? I am also thinking about getting her a conure friend. We were going to get her a conure friend before we split. Would it be better for her to have another companion or should I just focus on her?

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the changes in your life. Hope everything will be OK. Birds are generally adaptable so it might take her some time but she will probably get used to the change. Just make sure grandparents are not using any kinds of things that are not bird safe. Since she has been there before they are probably aware of that but just check and recheck.
As for a conure friend, a new bird might not get along with her and vice versa so just give her a chance to readjust to her new living situation.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, I am so sorry you are having a split, and doubly sorry it is going so fast. These things tend to gather momentum on their own.

I think (?) a new bird might give you and your bird added stress right now. Just enjoy her for awhile. You can always get one later.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Concentrate on the things you have to get through right now. No need for more stress.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
So sorry about the changes in your life. I'm sure everything will be okay. Birds are resilient but it might take her a bit but she'll be fine. As far as adding a conure playmate I wouldwholdoff on that it will probable add too much stress to both of you. While you are away just make sure there are plenty of play toys and Foraging toys and treats to keep her busy and mentally stimulated.

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
Sunflower used to prefer my husband, but over the last month she has been giving him trouble. Today, she wouldn't let him hold her at all. I think she could tell that things were tense. I was crying a lot, and I think she might have known he was the cause.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
It could also be hormones as well. It's Spring and Rupert makes threatening displays towards my other half when he's in the room.

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
I hope everything works out well for you and Sunflower. I just wanted to say that she is beautiful - that's such a lovely photo of her. I'm glad you have her to cheer you up.

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
I am so sorry you are going through this. :sadhug2:
As someone who is also going through this, just let your fid adjust without a friend for a while. I have moved to my parents, to my own apartment, and back into my own house in the last 4 months. My caique has started chewing her feathers, but my parakeets have been fine. I don’t think my caique would have done/ would do any better if she had a friend. Just spend quality time with your baby and know in the future a new “normal” will be established and everyone will get used to it.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
My marriage is imploding so Sunflower and I are moving in with my grandparents. This will be a major move for her. She has been there before, but never overnight. She will have a night cage in my bedroom, but a day cage in the living room. She normally spends most of the day out of her cage, but she will only be able to be out of her cage while I am home. My ex husband was doing online classes, so he was home all day. I have to work during the day. Also, she is used to spending all day with him, and she won't see him much at all. Probably only if I need a birdsitter. He is moving 2 hours away. This is also happening much faster than I would like.

Any advice for making this transition easier? I am also thinking about getting her a conure friend. We were going to get her a conure friend before we split. Would it be better for her to have another companion or should I just focus on her?
From living through a divorce, I would strongly recommend that you don't get a companion for Sunflower until both you and she are settled and comfortable with your new routine and home. You would be surprised at how adaptable our fids can be to change. The main thing is she still has cages she knows and is comfortable in and that you are there with her, even if it is for several hours a day. A bonus for both of you is that Sunflower knows your grandparents' place so the move will be different but not to a completely new, unknown home. Having things she knows from your previous life will be a key to making her feel comfortable and safe in her new life with you.