• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mahogany Pods

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Does anyone know how hard they are to saw? I'm debating buying pods and sawing and drilling them myself to save some money since my guys go through it pretty quickly. I'm buying a hand held miter saw this weekend for the balsa blocks I ordered, would I need a new tool? I was assuming they're similar to balsa or maybe a bit denser. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They are soft, imo. My birds tear through them easily. I still provide them for variety.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
They are soft, imo. My birds tear through them easily. I still provide them for variety.
Yeah, but your birds are huge compared to hers! :rofl:

Poor Ollie would struggle with the same wood that Annie can "Hulk smash!"

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Hahaha "hulk smash" that's awesome. Ok, so a miter hand saw should be fine. I'm just trying to cut costs as much as I can for skewer filling materials, ie mahogany and balsa, so I can buy other things more easily. Thanks for the responses! I guess I'm ordering pods instead of precut, predrilled now :D

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Does anyone know how hard they are to saw? I'm debating buying pods and sawing and drilling them myself to save some money since my guys go through it pretty quickly. I'm buying a hand held miter saw this weekend for the balsa blocks I ordered, would I need a new tool? I was assuming they're similar to balsa or maybe a bit denser. Thanks for any help!
I sell the mahogany pod slices also. They can be found here:
Mahogany Pod Slice

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
@calibird Thanks! I've been building a cart at your store for when I have a decent amount of money anyways. This and balsa are the things I just want to see if I can cut and drill myself then I can spend more on other goodies I can't or don't want to make :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
@calibird Thanks! I've been building a cart at your store for when I have a decent amount of money anyways. This and balsa are the things I just want to see if I can cut and drill myself then I can spend more on other goodies I can't or don't want to make :)
Lots of ventilation and a mask if you cut balsa. The wood is light and it floats for awhile in the air...or into your lungs. Balsa is my least favorite wood to cut even though it is the easiest.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
My tiels can chew through a cut one easily.
Joey Cake destroys a whole pod in an instant.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Lots of ventilation and a mask if you cut balsa. The wood is light and it floats for awhile in the air...or into your lungs. Balsa is my least favorite wood to cut even though it is the easiest.
Oh thank you! I planned on doing it outside since there are birds pretty much everywhere in this house, but I'll take extra precautions for myself as well. If I hate it too much I might just go back to buying it haha. I got 36 inches of balsa on the way so no turning back now!