• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Magnolia tree seed pods

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I honestly don’t know what they’re actually called, but they’re the cone-shaped things that the little red berries are in.

After the berries dry and fall out, could I use the pod/cone thing for a foraging toy? I have a magnolia tree in my yard, no pesticides used, and the cones fall off all the time. I figured baking it for a bit to sanitize it, and then trying out little treats in the holes?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
These (picture below)

I have thought about picking some up from outside and stuffing them with seeds and millet too but too scared would baking them work ?

would make a good foraging toy

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I honestly don’t know what they’re actually called, but they’re the cone-shaped things that the little red berries are in.

After the berries dry and fall out, could I use the pod/cone thing for a foraging toy? I have a magnolia tree in my yard, no pesticides used, and the cones fall off all the time. I figured baking it for a bit to sanitize it, and then trying out little treats in the holes?
Looks like it could be fine but always double check a few bird safe tree lists for yourself. I found an article about birds and magnolia. Sweetbay Magnolia: Adding Life to Your Garden

These (picture below)

I have thought about picking some up from outside and stuffing them with seeds and millet too but too scared would baking them work ?

These are pine cones..

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Looks like it could be fine but always double check a few bird safe tree lists for yourself. I found an article about birds and magnolia. Sweetbay Magnolia: Adding Life to Your Garden
It looks like what’s in my yard is a Southern Magnolia - from what I’m finding they appear to be bird safe as well, which is awesome to know. It drops old branches pretty regularly, so those could be amazing to use for cages/play room.

Out of curiosity, speaking of the branches, if a branch is too big for an oven, what’s the best way to sanitize it?

Winn

Jogging around the block
These (picture below)

I have used pine cones for foraging toys. I boil them for a while then bake them on a low temperature or dry them in the sun.
They will close up tightly when they are wet and re-open when they are dry.

Keep a close eye on them if you bake them. They are extremely flammable.