• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Magnetic Snap-shut screen

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has anyone used one of those screens that you can place up at a sliding exterior door on in interior door to make a barrier for a bird room? Do you know the ones I mean? Here is an image of what I'm talking about:

21SP20SDscreen1.jpg
I'm hoping to use something like this for one of my interior doors for the birds, but don't know if there is anything of which I should be aware when using one. This would be for budgies.

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Thats a good idea if its used for inside only and I don't believe the budgie could go through it but on the other hand you never know it just takes one time for them to figure it out so to say. I have it on my patio door to keep the fly's out.

BirdWorld

I’d probably be worried about them I guess chewing the magnets or something, not sure why they’d want to but I’m pretty sure they’d be toxic. Also, maybe get a colored one, I can’t tell whether it’s completely see-through from the picture but the budgies might fly into it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I used one for a couple of years for my bird room :) Hahns, green cheek, and quaker

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thats a good idea if its used for inside only and I don't believe the budgie could go through it but on the other hand you never know it just takes one time for them to figure it out so to say. I have it on my patio door to keep the fly's out.
I'd only use it for an interior door to make it easier for air to flow to their room and for me to come and go as needed.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’d probably be worried about them I guess chewing the magnets or something, not sure why they’d want to but I’m pretty sure they’d be toxic. Also, maybe get a colored one, I can’t tell whether it’s completely see-through from the picture but the budgies might fly into it.
Oh, I was not thinking of this specific one...just an example. And my boys are not really chewers.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wow! That's good to know. Those are certainly bigger parrots than my boys!
It was nice! I couldn't keep my Hahns out with my littler guys, so had to keep them separate. The screen kept everyone safe and included more than the hard door did :)

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Has anyone used one of those screens that you can place up at a sliding exterior door on in interior door to make a barrier for a bird room? Do you know the ones I mean? Here is an image of what I'm talking about:

View attachment 359804
I'm hoping to use something like this for one of my interior doors for the birds, but don't know if there is anything of which I should be aware when using one. This would be for budgies.
Yes i use them , as a backup safety barrier
I love it my Birds are out right now .
Here's a look!
20201029_171315.jpg 20201029_171335.jpg

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
What a great system! Thanks for sharing that :)
You're welcome, Iike your idea for using on interior space. You're able to see through to keep an eye out, plus it's low profile is aesthetically appealing.
They really can't get to the magnetic tab .
Unless they hang on the screen. I've never encountered that problem. I dont think the Budgies would be swinging around on it .

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
In our apartment we had one in the front hallway, a couple of feet before the foyer. Since it hung from the ceiling, it stopped about a foot and a half above the floor, but the birds were afraid of it and never went near it so it wasn't an issue.

It was really neat. The magnets were loose enough that you could walk through it with zero effort, but strong enough that it would click- click- click shut behind you almost like a zipper! We would have put one up again in our new house, but our entry is in the corner of our living room instead of at the end of a hall & I'm pretty sure the magnets would stick to the front and storm doors.

Last edited:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When family and friends come to visit they're going to love it! Lol! I'm also getting ready to replace my storm doors with ones that have the roll-down screens for air flow :)

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I’m not sure if this is possible, but I would be scarred about them flying out after you and getting stuck.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I’m not sure if this is possible, but I would be scarred about them flying out after you and getting stuck.
I don't think there's any chance of them getting stuck, but if they clung to you and didn't fly away they could make it through.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I use those in my house for our dogs. It lets me leave doors open in the summer time without letting mosquitoes in. My birds are in an outside aviary, so they don't interact with it.

I think it would be perfect as a safety screen, especially for an interior space, like a bird room. I wouldn't trust it to be 100% secure so I would not use it to keep birds from escaping through an exterior door. As the door gets older, they start to stretch and eventually need to be replaced. For me, we use it a lot and can be pretty rough on them. They last about a year in my house, but since they are cheap, it is easy to replace them if they are damaged or loose.

I don't think the magnets would be a problem, just monitor for chewing.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I would love to use this for River's room.. but i fear, knowing her so far, she would just full on walk through it :lol:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, I would never use them for an exterior door with birds loose in the house...no way, no how. An interior bird room door for small-ish birds is what I'm thinking :)

And yes, @Miss Annamarie, a Macaw would just march right through the opening like it owned the place, lol!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We just used it as an extra layer of protection to keep Luv Bug from making a dash for the door when we came or went. She is an ace flier and had gotten out at her pervious home. :(

None of our birds ever went near it so there was no worry of chewing, etc.