• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Made a mistake

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
Hey guys,

So you guys know I have mojo the parrotlet. He was hatched back in July. A while back he was out of his cage and I had to catch him as he was exhausting himself flying and I was afraid he'd hit the mirror. Ever since then he's been scared of my hands. I got a clicker training set and his favorite treats and he's been inching closer to them & my hand outside the cage but I feel like I've ruined things with my beautiful boy. He loves head scratches but is too nervous to let me do them now :( any tips on how I can slowly fix this? :( I'm so sad about it.

Last edited:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I had to catch mango and Indie to move house indie it didn’t bother she stayed same but mango it did didn’t trust my hands after I just kept offering treats with my hands millet etc and mango come back round I found teaching them to turn around on a perch as helped be less scared of hands
Indie is a no hands bird but I’ve learnt her to fly to my arm by tapping my arm she will crawl down to my hand for treat but when treats gone she bites me

just go back to basic and keep offering treats hopefully mojo comes back around

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Exactly like everybody has said!
Its totally ok! He reads you so think happy cheerful thoughts when interacting, humor at any sets backs.

I've totally messed up and broken my sweet gcc trust twice! And I've helped rescues overcome trust issues too. I always apologize I think something gets through. Then I bribe and sweet talk my way back into there heart.

You will too

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Just start over from the beginning like he's a brand new bird. Take it slow :)
That's what I've been doing this week, he got about 3 inches from the treat yesterday, reached out for it & then got nervous. Just going to try again. I'll be gone on a weekend trip, he won't loose his training over those 2 days will he?

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Made a breakthrough with Mojo today!! He slowly ventured over to where I was holding the peice of fruit. He slowly reached out for the banana chip & then again twice before bed for a peice of date! So happy, only been working with him since Sunday! Just going to take it super slowly