• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaws

Yannick

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Yannick
Hello again. I was thinking of owning a hyacinth macaw but thanks some kind people, I was able to realize that it would have not been a good idea for neither the bird nor me. So I decided to own some more common macws like the blue and gold macaw. But I still haven't given up on the idea of hatching my own macaw. Like I mentionned in my previous post, I once had macaws but never hatched one. My friend gave me the details of his most trusted egg supplier but he lives in Sydney and after my studies I will go to Melbourne. So my question is:
Do I need any license or complete any paperwork to domestically import fertile macaw eggs?
Thank you for reading:D

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
From Sydney to Melbourne?
I am not sure and I guess your best bet would be to contact the department of fisheries and wildlife to find out the laws regarding this.
I do not think it is legal in Melbourne to sell a fertile parrot egg but I have heard of people in Sydney doing it- I would be guessing you may have to transport it yourself.
I am not a fan of the idea to be honest but it is your choice not mine so the best I can do is direct you to the legal avenues I have used to find out information I have wanted to know in the past.

Yannick

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Yannick
From Sydney to Melbourne?
I am not sure and I guess your best bet would be to contact the department of fisheries and wildlife to find out the laws regarding this.
I do not think it is legal in Melbourne to sell a fertile parrot egg but I have heard of people in Sydney doing it- I would be guessing you may have to transport it yourself.
I am not a fan of the idea to be honest but it is your choice not mine so the best I can do is direct you to the legal avenues I have used to find out information I have wanted to know in the past.
Thank you very much. So, I guess my best bet is to buy a baby macaw rather than hatch one. Ok, it's the best way. Thank you

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

This is where you will find the information you are looking for I believe.

I am of the belief that in most states here a baby parrot must stay with the person who is the breeder of said bird until the baby has fully weaned.
I honestly have never spoken to a breeder who is wiling to sell un-weaned babies (but I have heard a lot of people whinge that they could not find one to sell them a baby straight out of the egg) which in my mind is a good thing, so many people want to hand raise because it sounds nice to them and they think the baby will love them more but if you are not experienced it is the baby bird that suffers. Also people do not realize that as a baby they will love you but once hitting maturity they may very likely not like you so much as you are the surrogate parent and no living being wants to shack up with their parent, not even our loving baby birds! lol

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I agree with @Shezbug besides, during their teens, their behavior changes as well. You might have hatched a bird, hand reared it, and then find out they will bite you and not like you.

Also, their parents can learn them birdy stuff that no humans can, not with the best intentions in the world. Get a weaned baby, its better for all party‘s, and better for the bird most of all. Which should be any human’s main concern :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Yannick You sound quite young and inexperienced with parrots - nothing wrong with that as long as you learn from those who are very experienced. @macawpower58 is very experienced with her macaw and parrots in general. This is her experience and it is quite common among parrot owners.