• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw Won't Stop Laying Eggs

HCK9s

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren Elizabeth
Hi everyone,

Roxie (Greenwing) and Rambo (Catalina) are about 18. They have been together around 16 years and are very bonded. They came to me from a private owner and have been pets. The previous owner said Roxie has laid six eggs since October. She handled both birds regularly, even after egg laying started. She re-homed them to me because she did not have a lot of time to spend with them individually anymore and she was worried it was contributing to the egg laying and hormonal behaviors.

I am a Former Avian Vet Tech and am aware Deslorelin implants can help with hormonal behaviors. I am waiting to hear back from our vet now regarding setting up an appointment to get her one.

I believe previous owner also kept them covered at night, which can create nesting behaviors. Does anyone have any other suggestions on preventing Roxie from laying? I do not want her to become egg bound and would like them to remain sweet pets. I am not interested in breeding.

Thanks in advance!

26239414_10155717425754733_5895956830916126532_n.jpg

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Switching things up can help. Changing the cage location, changing the perches and toys around. Keeping them busy by foraging for food and playing.

Some of mine lay eggs and move on after the 30ish day sit. I try to take out the eggs if they don't care. Are you leaving them or removing them? Are they sitting on them?