• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw Tail Folicle

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
This morning, our bird groomer came and as I took Lovey to her, Lovey decided to fly away to the floor, the groomer accidentally stepped on one of her tail feathers, pulling the blood feather right out. The groomer, our favorite bird lady, applied pressure and the bleeding finally stopped about five minutes later. But it still worries me. It has bled just a few drops in the hours since then and I wondered if I should put something on it or leave it alone. There's quite a scab. I wonder if it hurts a lot. Poor bird.

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I'm just so worried that it might start bleeding again or won't heal right. I feel like such a bad mom. I don't know if I should try to put some Neosporin on it or just pray that she makes it to Monday so I can call the vet.

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Thank you so much, Macawnutz!
I'm so relieved. She just climbed on top of the cage with no trouble and wanted half a kid's burger from Good Times. Her former owners always ate dinner with her so she expects people food for dinner, always! Lol! But she seems better. I wonder if there's a sign I can get that says stay back 50 feet from the macaw tail.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
By tomorrow it will be forgotten. When they are clean pulls like that they rarely open back up. That's why people pull feathers when they are bleeding, it stops them quicker. Most of the large macaw wing and tail feathers are seated in bone so it does hurt a bit to remove one. They also have a natural defense when caught to release them.

Your baby will be alright.