• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw Scritches!

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I finally got to cuddle with a macaw! I have pet macaws before, but it has never been more than a 10-second thing. Until today. For context, I have been spending more time at the rescue lately.

I sat down to eat a muffin for lunch, in the middle of the macaw room, in a chair. One of the blue and gold macaws walked over. I figured she couldn't get up in my chair, and wouldn't want to. She reached her beak up and proved me wrong. She climbed into my lap, and asked to be pet by laying her head down and scratching herself. It must have been 20 or 25 minutes scritching her head. I was nervous but so happy. When she was done I stuck my leg out and she slid down gracefully onto the floor. LOL!

They have so many birds right now. I got to hold a Timneh African Grey recently, which was super cool! We also have a red Lory, which is pretty rare.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I wish I had a rescue nearby, lol. It must be fun to be around all these birds!
Oh my gosh, it is so much fun. It is my happy place. I love every single bird, and the bonds we form are so sweet. And parrots are very entertaining. I can go on and on about the rescue, and I think about them all the time.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That sounds amazing!! How wonderful to be able to interact with so many different species. I must admit I am a little jealous;)

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
That's so cool, scrape. I hope to volunteer at my local parrot shelter beginning next year when my life settles down a bit.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Sounds like a great experience ..good for you to volunteer :laughing12:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
It wasn't a fluke, she lets me pet her now! I might even be able to pick her up.
A different blue and gold let me pet her today, and stepped up (with treats of course)! First time an adult macaw has stepped up for me.
She also scared the heck out of me. I was talking to someone, my back to a cage. I turned and her face was right beside mine. Phew!
I am glad I am spending more time there, I think our relationships are growing.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Oh I am thrilled for you being able to interact with so many species of birds.
Be careful. You're going to get the "macaw bug" lol.
Do you have a favorite that you like to spend that little bit more time with?

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Oh I am thrilled for you being able to interact with so many species of birds.
Be careful. You're going to get the "macaw bug" lol.
Do you have a favorite that you like to spend that little bit more time with?
Haha! They are too loud for me. The sharpness of their calls bother me, so I shouldn't be at risk of the bug. It would be awesome to temporarily foster or pet-sit a macaw one day, I would love that!
So far, those two blue and golds I am doting on the most. They seem the most interested in interacting with me. I do also enjoy our female greenwing. So far she's hands-off, but loves to dance. I'm giving the most attention to the 3 girls, the 4 boys are not as friendly.

Such an easy bug to catch lol
Haha! I hope not! I think Lovie would not appreciate another bird. He gets very jealous when I give anyone but him attention.