• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Macaw scratches eye on occasion? Help!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieTheHarley

Moving in
Real Name
Nico
Hi! I have a 5 month old Harlequin Macaw named Charlie who tends to try and scratch his eye on some occasions. He doesn't appear to do it vigorously and it is not necessarily all the time but when he does do it it kind of worries me. I have looked into his eye and it does not appear to be red or irritated in anyway (I am not an avian vet or pretend to know what I am talking about when it comes to illness with birds). When Charlie does happen to scratch his eye it is almost as if he is trying to recreate the feeling of when I cuddle with him and ruffle up the feathers on his head and neck which he really likes. Still, I am worried that there may be some sort of unseen problem with him doing this. Also I have spotted a small almost pimple looking thing just below his eye. It looks like it is an ingrown hair or ingrown feather. If anyone has any info on this please let me know!

IMG_1362.jpg IMG_1363.jpg IMG_1386.jpg
IMG_1382.jpg

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
The scratching is just something that makes them feel good. That little spot is nothing to worry about and will go away. Just keep the usual eye on things.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Dtto what Renee said. Both of my macaws did/do the self head hugging. Keep an eye on the little bump. If it turns red or grows, then it's off to the Vet.

CharlieTheHarley

Moving in
Real Name
Nico
Renee' and Mary Lynn, thank you so much for replying. I will make sure to watch the bump so that it isn't anything bad!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Looks like he is preening his head with his foot. He may molt soon. So he's probably itchy. Lots of showers and helping him preen helps.

This is normal macaw behavior.:)

Last edited:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Charlie is gorgeous and he is in great hands with you keeping such a close eye on him.... :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Awww, he is a doll! Look at that baby face. Sounds like your baby is being completely normal to me, and as said, watch the bump and it should go away on it's own. Having a new baby always keeps you watching and worried :D

If I were you I would check around your area for a good avian vet and make a new bird checkup appointment. It's great to get to know your vet before you have a problem and that way your vet will get to know your bird as well. AA is a great place for help but it is always nice to shoot your vet an email ( or a silly little bump picture ) to make sure you are on the right track.

Your Harli is gorgeous!!!!

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Awe, what a cute baby!! :heart: I miss baby macaw cuddles, and big black baby macaw eyes.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
It doesn't appear to be anything serious. Keep an eye on it just in case and enjoy your faby!!

CharlieTheHarley

Moving in
Real Name
Nico
Than you Sarah! Yes, Charlie and I have already been to the Avian vet for his new bird checkup and blood tests but I will definitely make sure he receives all the necessary medical attention! :) Plus I know AA will help answer any questions I may have!

Status
Not open for further replies.