• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw safe house plants (large)

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Any recommendations for large house plants that are macaw safe? Was thinking of getting a fiddle leaf fig, but found that on a "bad" list. So are philodendrons apparently. No surprise that a dieffenbachia (common name: "dumb cane") is on that list.
What low light plants are safe? Ideally looking for something that will get 6-8 feet tall...

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You do realize that any plant you get will be torn up and destroyed by a macaw in short order?

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
You do realize that any plant you get will be torn up and destroyed by a macaw in short order?
Seymour, the Ruby I'm in the process of adopting, hasn't left his hanging perch (at least on purpose), other than to be carried around, in over 2 years. Under the assumption that behavior continues, I'm looking for an indoor tree like plant that would be safe for him to consume if he changes his behavior. Much more concerned about the bird than the plant, but like to have the benefits of plants in the house.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
This list says that fiddle leaf figs are safe. It's a zoo out there.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Can't go wrong with snake plant aka Mother-in-law's tongue in low light settings, and it's a great plant for improving indoor air quality.

They're cheap and easy to grow.

Not 6 to 8 ft tall, but they're attractive individually or clumped on elevated plant stands to add height.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love those, but if anyone eats them, I was told they're poisonous.

@saroj12 may have some suggestions about fast growing, macaw safe plants that could be eaten but would grow back/ keep up.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

@saroj12 may have some suggestions about fast growing, macaw safe plants that could be eaten but would grow back/ keep up.
Some kind of palm. Mine wintered indoors in the living room and was trouble free. I got a plant floor stand grow light because I didn’t have a sunny window for it.

Gigibirds

Yep! Palm trees are your best bet, I think.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
But no branches to sit on.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
This list says that fiddle leaf figs are safe. It's a zoo out there.

That is a big part of my issue: One list says its fine, another implies looking at it will kill your bird... Hard to figure out who to believe.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I only keep orchids and African violets in the house. I just got a Streptocarpus which is sort of similar to an African violet but the one I got is larger. However, it's probably not as large as what you are looking for. There is a lot of inconsistency when it comes to the safe/toxic plant lists. One list shows Jade plants, which can get very large, as being safe and another list I found stated that they are not safe.

BTW, not all palms are safe. Sago palms are poisonous.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
That is a big part of my issue: One list says its fine, another implies looking at it will kill your bird.
Yeah, Snake Plant appears to be a consistent "no" for cats and dogs, but it's a mixed message for birds (isn't everything?).

Snake plant contains Saponin...

In plants, saponins may serve as anti-feedants, and to protect the plant against microbes and fungi.[citation needed] Some plant saponins (e.g. from oat and spinach) may enhance nutrient absorption and aid in animal digestion. However, saponins are often bitter to taste, and so can reduce plant palatability (e.g., in livestock feeds), or even imbue them with life-threatening animal toxicity. Some saponins are toxic to cold-blooded organisms and insects at particular concentrations. Further research is needed to define the roles of these natural products in their host organisms, which have been described as "poorly understood" to date.
Well, since the jury's out, they're not the easiest to land on, my guys have left them alone for years, and I haven't managed to kill them in the same span... they're staying.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Is those the little fig leaves (inch or two) or the fiddle leaf figs (foot+) leaves?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Is those the little fig leaves (inch or two) or the fiddle leaf figs (foot+) leaves?
Areca palm and fig leaf as well as banana plant though that one needs sunlight. I researched these and found them on multiple safe lists though I agree that there’s never 100% consistency across info sources. What I did learn is that regardless of plant safety itself, I had to watch for what was used on the leaves and completely remove the soil it came with and repot with organic soil I trust the sourcing of. For example, fastgrowingtrees online uses an insecticide that they researched for me and assured me was specifically parrot safe but advised me to repot and resoil. I also thoroughly showered, washed and gently dried the leaves of the fig leaf to make sure anyways and am waiting two months before introducing my bird to the plant.
‘Palms are safe. Sago palm is not a true palm and is not safe.
hope this helps.

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Areca palm and fig leaf as well as banana plant though that one needs sunlight. I researched these and found them on multiple safe lists though I agree that there’s never 100% consistency across info sources. What I did learn is that regardless of plant safety itself, I had to watch for what was used on the leaves and completely remove the soil it came with and repot with organic soil I trust the sourcing of. For example, fastgrowingtrees online uses an insecticide that they researched for me and assured me was specifically parrot safe but advised me to repot and resoil. I also thoroughly showered, washed and gently dried the leaves of the fig leaf to make sure anyways and am waiting two months before introducing my bird to the plant.
‘Palms are safe. Sago palm is not a true palm and is not safe.
hope this helps.
Yep, not a true palm, a Cycad. It's a Sago "palm". ;)

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
That is a big part of my issue: One list says its fine, another implies looking at it will kill your bird... Hard to figure out who to believe.
Drives me nuts too and I find people are just copy/pasting the same information over and over again. I've given up on relying on lists and instead use the plants scientific name and toxic or poisonous to a search term. And generally if it's considered harmful to dogs, cats or humans I assume it isn't safe for birds either. As they say, "better safe than sorry."

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I've been considering bamboo for its height after my renovations progress.

Here's a resource that lists 3 low-light varieties.