• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw room

ParrotJunkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Davis
So I’ve been interested in making a macaw room at my next house and I was wondering how one would go about doing it? Obviously I’d removed molding cause that’s to much of a tasty chewing temptation :laugh:. I’ve seen someone basically use those stick on tiles (not sure if they have an actual name) on the walls and ceilings cause they can’t be chewed on (or so they say:roflmao:) besides the problem of damaging the walls/ceiling it’s pretty straight forward just stands, toys, and boings of course lol. So basically how can I modify a room to not get totally destroyed by those big ol beaks :p

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
That's awesome!

Beaks can only destroy what they can reach, so observe your spacing of perches and boings to avoid close proximity to edges (mouldings and inside corners).

I also fnd that hanging things allows easier cleaning of the uncluttered floor.

ParrotJunkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Davis
That's awesome!

Beaks can only destroy what they can reach, so observe your spacing of perches and boings to avoid close proximity to edges (mouldings and inside corners).

I also fnd that hanging things allows easier cleaning of the uncluttered floor.
It would definitely be simple if I didn’t plan on my bird being flighted. I’m sure at some point he’ll fly off his stand to destroy something instead of his toys :laugh: I plan on screwing on those plexiglass “doughnuts” on any swings or boings hung on the ceiling so they don’t have access to the Sheetrock on the ceiling.

ParrotJunkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Davis
I just want a big space for my macaw friend lol originally I was gonna do a cage that was at least 80x60 but all of them are SO expensive. I mean if I’m paying 3,000+ for a bird cage it better have STELLAR reviews (which none of them do haha). If I don’t fix up a room to be left unattended in I might get a smaller cage (64x32) for when I can’t be in the room. Then make a nice big ol play area so he’ll still get a large space!

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
It would definitely be simple if I didn’t plan on my bird being flighted.
My guys are all flighted and it's manageable -- just ensure they can't land anywhere you don't want a beak to explore.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Also, corner guards can help.

Just get an appropriate size based on your macaw's beak.

ParrotJunkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Davis
My guys are all flighted and it's manageable -- just ensure they can't land anywhere you don't want a beak to explore.
how do you keep them from flying to the floor and chewing on molding or the base of a door? That’s the only thing I can think of

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Lots of places designated for them, and toys on the floor, but I may just be blessed with macaws who aren't big chewers.

I'm sure others will be along to comment -- I think @Shezbug has a chewer?

ParrotJunkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Davis
Lots of places designated for them, and toys on the floor, but I may just be blessed with macaws who aren't big chewers.

Ah definitely lucky! I’m sure it depends on the bird for sure

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Lol I’d love a SS room :laugh:
Anything Burt can get his beak into or around is going to be damaged. Whatever it is (door frame, furniture, light switch, power point etc) if he can grab it he’ll test it to its limits, if it can be taken apart it will be.
If your bird is interested in chewing door and window frames then you can do what some other members have done and cover them with timber bulky enough to protect the actual frames, might not look the best but it will work.
If you have enough toys and things that are more interesting then that will help as much as positioning perches in places that corners and frames can’t be reached by your bird.

ParrotJunkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Davis
Lol I’d love a SS room :laugh:
Anything Burt can get his beak into or around is going to be damaged. Whatever it is (door frame, furniture, light switch, power point etc) if he can grab it he’ll test it to its limits, if it can be taken apart it will be.
If your bird is interested in chewing door and window frames then you can do what some other members have done and cover them with timber bulky enough to protect the actual frames, might not look the best but it will work.
If you have enough toys and things that are more interesting then that will help as much as positioning perches in places that corners and frames can’t be reached by your bird.
Thanks! Sounds like he’s quite the character haha. I plan on building a MASSIVE pvc stand (maybe 10ft by 5ft by 6ft if I can find some weights for the base) so I’m hoping with a massive stand that won’t have floor access and lots of toys they’ll be no reasons to want to leave the stand haha

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I plan on building a MASSIVE pvc stand
To encourage activity, I find it's preferable to have multiple play stands (and food & water stations, etc) that they can fly between, rather than focusing too much on a single location.

ParrotJunkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Davis
To encourage activity, I find it's preferable to have multiple play stands (and food & water stations, etc) that they can fly between, rather than focusing too much on a single location.
Oh Yeah! I was hoping to have the big ol PVC stand, a Java stand, then then the cage. I think it’d be cool to connect all of them with large diameter cotton rope/cargo nets. I don’t know how large the room is gonna be ideally I will have lots of flight room!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
River has her own room. We took off all the baseboards, have no perches or anything near the windows. We have vinyl flooring all over the walls for easy clean up, and tiles lining the bottom and corners. She does try to chew through the door if we dont get her out right away in the morning, so goodluck with that, lol.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd also have to have a SS room, like Shezbug suggested for Burt. JaKhu destroys or takes everything apart. Keep in mind they can climb or fly down to the floor, so play stands may not keep your bird in place.

ParrotJunkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Davis
River has her own room. We took off all the baseboards, have no perches or anything near the windows. We have vinyl flooring all over the walls for easy clean up, and tiles lining the bottom and corners. She does try to chew through the door if we dont get her out right away in the morning, so goodluck with that, lol.
I saw a metal grate door which I thought was a great idea cause it can’t be chewed. Plus you could put perches on it like a cage wall. Great idea about the vinyl! I always thought about putting stick on tiles on the walls/ceiling cause they are kinda a “stone” texture and easy to clean

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I saw a metal grate door which I thought was a great idea cause it can’t be chewed. Plus you could put perches on it like a cage wall. Great idea about the vinyl! I always thought about putting stick on tiles on the walls/ceiling cause they are kinda a “stone” texture and easy to clean
Omg do you have a link to this door? I might end uo having to take River to my house so that would be wonderful.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The crimsafe screen doors would be a perfect option unless you wanted a solid door.
Or there are cheaper options such as the perforated aluminum screen doors.. Security Mesh

Last edited: