• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw proof reusable forage toys?

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
"Kong" are heavy duty rubber toys for dogs. They have one called a "Tire". There is no wire in it or any of their toys.
1611991435323.png This is their line of toys for power chewers. They are the toughest dog toys on the market: KONG Extreme - Power Chewer Dog Toys | KONG Company

They used to make a Kong toy for parrots that had a clip that hooked to the side of the cage. I had them for 2 of my parrots. I don't think they make them anymore. I've searched & can't find any. This is what it looked like....
1611991927634.png

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
"Kong" are heavy duty rubber toys for dogs. They have one called a "Tire". There is no wire in it or any of their toys.
View attachment 371629 This is their line of toys for power chewers. They are the toughest dog toys on the market: KONG Extreme - Power Chewer Dog Toys | KONG Company

They used to make a Kong toy for parrots that had a clip that hooked to the side of the cage. I had them for 2 of my parrots. I don't think they make them anymore. I've searched & can't find any. This is what it looked like....
View attachment 371630
Ohhh. :roflmao: I thought they were referring to actual tyres... I feel real stupid now especially considering my dog has the kong tyre somewhere here lol.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ohhh. :roflmao: I thought they were referring to actual tyres... I feel real stupid now especially considering my dog has the kong tyre somewhere here lol.
At the rate your Burt & my JaKhu are going thru toys we both may need to look into using real car tires, LOL. JaKhu will be 10 months old February 10th. She has destroyed several heavy duty toys I had for JaJaBinks. Those were mostly heavy acrylic toys they no longer make & JaJaBinks had them for a good 18-19 years & never broke them. JaKhu is a feathered wrecking ball, LOL.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll check the tire and see who it is made by. It's not the Kong tire. It looks like something for a wheelbarrow, but it may be a pet quality product. She's a hyacinth and you know how destructive those beaks can be. I can't imagine her owners would give her something from HomeDepot to play with.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It’s a TuffTire. She’s had it for a few years and it still looks to be in good shape.
That looks neat!

Not to nitpick, but it sure would be helpful if we had a model in the picture... um, for scale. :yes3: :heart2:

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could not find any "TuffTire" toys. I did find other brands. Largest one is 8.5 inches.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That looks neat!

Not to nitpick, but it sure would be helpful if we had a model in the picture... um, for scale. :yes3: :heart2:
I wish I could. She's a boarder at the store and the owner doesn't allow us to post pictures of them.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Fair enough. :tup: Can't blame a girl for trying. :D

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have ordered the leather box @Macawnutz recommended and they have two more in stock. I’m thinking of buying the other two they have in stock... am I being silly?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You should see if Burt likes it first. The items *most likely* won't be discontinued if you discover that Burt likes the toy and you go back for more.
I’m guessing you haven’t read the whole thread lol.. I believe they may have the only two left available in the US and Aus

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Based on what @Macawnutz said you could decide either way. :shrug2:

The leather boxes are really good toys so... :without8ball:

But she also said even Sakie hasn't broken hers, so you might not need more than one. :8ballno:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

But she also said even Sakie hasn't broken hers, so you might not need more than one. :8ballno:
Not today I won’t need multiples but Burt might one day have a friend or four he doesn’t wanna share with :roflmao:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Buzzy might need one!?!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Buzzy might need one!?!
Buzzy doesn't really care for leather, unless it's the sofa. He's convinced he wants that. :rolleyes: But none of our birds will have anything to do with the veggie tanned leather I've ordered. :shrug3:

I gave him another piece after reading this thread & he dropped it straight to the dog. At least Duke plays with it. :dog4:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
First you don't have to refill it with leather. :laugh: I refill mine with oodles of different things. Kailua likes the leather. The slots on it are not wide so you can't use real thick objects but I put papers, cardboard, different ropes, thin wood pieces and such.

Buy all three? Well... this is all I know. Volar, Sakie and Sam all have one. Those are the ones that break things. Out of those three Sakie is the one that breaks things just to break something. Sakie has had hers for Hmmmmm.... at least 7-8 years I think. My hy's WOULD break them so I have never put one in their cage. As an example of what Tiko can and will do.... if any of you have those "crock" bowls? He chews the crock off the cage and chips the bowl into confetti like it is wood. :D Tiko can take a 12" long 1 1/2" diameter lucite rod and drop it into 40 quarter size pieces in about 10 minutes. :rofl: Seriously. I have people on this forum that have seen him do it.

So, the question is.... does Burt have a little Sakie in him or... a little Tiko? :hilarious:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
First you don't have to refill it with leather. :laugh: I refill mine with oodles of different things. Kailua likes the leather. The slots on it are not wide so you can't use real thick objects but I put papers, cardboard, different ropes, thin wood pieces and such.
A box of cardboard does sound like a toy Buzzard would like. I think I'll fill his Buffet Ball with some and stick a skewer through it.

Thanks for the idea, @Macawnutz! Like a crazy leather box, but a ball instead. ;)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
A box of cardboard does sound like a toy Buzzard would like. I think I'll fill his Buffet Ball with some and stick a skewer through it.

Thanks for the idea, @Macawnutz! Like a crazy leather box, but a ball instead. ;)
No fear.... If you want one for buzz... You can buy the medium size. :D Buzz has neither a little Sakie or Tiko. ;)