• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw proof reusable forage toys?

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
While I can use many of the caitec products with some of my guys they are not for Burt.

Try looking for Zoo Max's "crazy leather box" in size large. It's a 6x6 box. None of my guys have broke one but I don't give them to the hys.
I didn't even know they make a large, the medium is already huge!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I can’t find the leather box here, there’s other zoo max toys but I haven’t managed to find the leather box anywhere yet :/

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I didn't even know they make a large, the medium is already huge!
The medium is like what 5.5x5.5 or something? Probably pretty close to the large. I remember having trouble finding the large sizes but did finally do it. I would have bought the medium had I not found them.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
The medium is like what 5.5x5.5 or something? Probably pretty close to the large. I remember having trouble finding the large sizes but did finally do it. I would have bought the medium had I not found them.
I looked into it and I think they stopped making the large ones. I already sell the X-Small and Small, but I'm going to start stocking the medium soon.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I looked into it and I think they stopped making the large ones. I already sell the X-Small and Small, but I'm going to start stocking the medium soon.
Can you possibly come back to this thread and notify me when you have the larger size available?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I only found the large on one site & it's like $70! :shocked6: I think you're right @Matto, they must have stopped making them.
Screenshot_20210128-080928_Chrome.jpg

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Macawnutz do these measurements look right?
20744943-14C6-4AD6-902A-A3D66DE81CF2.png

I’m waiting for the owners to message me back if they gave these I’m getting at least one!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have it in my cart waiting to buy- if it’s the right one then I’ll get two and put one away!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I do use them
Wait, I just checked; they're in Australia?? :yes4: I had no idea. I was just searching for anyplace that had it. :dance5:

I guess if I'd've checked their shipping rates to the US that would probably have been my first clue. :pinklol2:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wait, I just checked; they're in Australia?? :yes4: I had no idea. I was just searching for anyplace that had it. :dance5:

I guess if I'd've checked their shipping rates to the US that would probably have been my first clue. :pinklol2:
lol... I thought you were specifically searching Aussie stores for me!
I was honestly surprised that I didn’t remember seeing it in their list of toys.... I pretty much know their product choices and site menu like the back of my hand!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yup! That looks like them. My guys have not broke them. Everyone has one but the Hy's. :D Sakie breaks everything and she has one. :laugh:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yup! That looks like them. My guys have not broke them. Everyone has one but the Hy's. :D Sakie breaks everything and she has one. :laugh:
Sweet! I’ll definitely order one today then! Thank you :)

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had good luck with the KONG brand dog chew toys. They have holes where you can put whatever you want inside and encourage your dog to chew and get the treat out. I stuff walnuts, brazil nuts, and almonds inside of mine. The macaws aren't interested in chewing it after they get the nut out, and if you stuff them in far enough it can take some work for them to do so. It has survived my Buffons for almost the last year. The only problem I've had is when they were outside of the cage and he was done getting the treats out he would throw it. They bounce pretty well so you have to be careful of flying objects. Now I put it on the bottom of the cage or I stick it in a food bowl where he can get it. When it gets dirty it can be thrown in the dishwasher.

Attachments

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
or I stick it in a food bowl
I always keep a Kong in Buzzard's 3rd bowl, but it's for regurgitating not foraging. :wtf: Whatever keeps his wing clean.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I've had good luck with the KONG brand dog chew toys. They have holes where you can put whatever you want inside and encourage your dog to chew and get the treat out. I stuff walnuts, brazil nuts, and almonds inside of mine. The macaws aren't interested in chewing it after they get the nut out, and if you stuff them in far enough it can take some work for them to do so. It has survived my Buffons for almost the last year. The only problem I've had is when they were outside of the cage and he was done getting the treats out he would throw it. They bounce pretty well so you have to be careful of flying objects. Now I put it on the bottom of the cage or I stick it in a food bowl where he can get it. When it gets dirty it can be thrown in the dishwasher.
I’ve given them all away to people with dogs... Burt really had no interest in them and he learned real fast to just drop them on the floor to make the treat fall out- no real foraging with those lol.

You will want to be very vigilant checking them over for safety especially if you wash them in the dishwasher... they disintegrate over time and sometimes you get very little warning that they’re loosing their structural integrity.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve given them all away to people with dogs... Burt really had no interest in them and he learned real fast to just drop them on the floor to make the treat fall out- no real foraging with those lol.

You will want to be very vigilant checking them over for safety especially if you wash them in the dishwasher... they disintegrate over time and sometimes you get very little warning that they’re loosing their structural integrity.
It was worth a shot. I have to check everything. With that monster beak of his when he puts his mind to it, things don't last very long. I'm always checking for loose chains or rope. It's hard to stay ahead of him sometimes. A lot of the things I put in the dishwasher have already been washed. The long wash with hot water is what I'm after.

I know of someone who has a hyacinth and she has a small tire in her cage as well as a stainless steel bucket. Her macadamia nuts are wrapped in different things and stuck in the tires. Some of the little packages are empty, some have empty shells in them, and some have the real thing. The bucket holds her toys and things get rotated out to keep things interesting.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Hum...I wonder how macaws would like a tire swing?
Is it safe for them?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Hum...I wonder how macaws would like a tire swing?
Is it safe for them?
I think as long as it's cleaned and off-gassed before it's installed it sounds fine to me. :shrug2: Buzzard might take more convincing. :scared1:

I do like the idea of using a tire as a foraging toy though. Makes me wonder what other things I can stuff with treats. You could probably do something similar with a pool noodle, though that definitely wouldn't be reuseable! :mariecleans: