• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw proof reusable forage toys?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you happen to have or know of any reusable foraging toys that you’ve found to be macaw proof can you please share?
I use destructible forage toys a bit but I’m after some reliable reusable ones. So far we have a SS baffle cage that I’m only comfortable using under supervision and that is the only toy he hasn’t ruined- has bent the wire top some but hasn’t broken it which is a bonus!
Burt has now started removing the chain links from his turn n learn logs which has really bummed me out... hahaha I thought I’d finally found him a new reusable foraging toy :(

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:watching: I'm watching this thread...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Are any of the larger Caitec ones?

Maybe some of these?

I am no longer game to purchase any of these sorts of toys as Burt has broken a couple of them even though they were recommended for his size.
I also wish to try to purchase only toys already in Aus as the cost really adds up fast when buying and shipping things from the US- The exchange rate is usually bad enough then the paypal conversion fee and extra shipping costs on top add up fast.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am no longer game to purchase any of these sorts of toys as Burt has broken a couple of them even though they were recommended for his size.
I also wish to try to purchase only toys already in Aus as the cost really adds up fast when buying and shipping things from the US- The exchange rate is usually bad enough then the paypal conversion fee and extra shipping costs on top add up fast.
I understand :) I don't know what's available in Aus but I know that Busy Bird sells wholesale so I'm not sure if anyone imported them to resell or not.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
This person used a plastic dishwasher basket made for cleaning baby bottles & zip tied it to the side of the cage. I wonder if we could use chain or steel zip ties to tie our baffle cages to the side of the cage?
1611380495132.png 1611380408007.png

Or we could stack little buckets with stuff inside each one. I do something similar by nesting some of our smaller Amazon boxes, but Buzz is not as determined as Burt, I don't think. He often loses interest before he gets to the first treat or gets more interested in tearing up the cardboard. :rolleyes:
1611380615998.png

Oooh, I was looking for ideas and found this site. These look awesome! They're in the US, but you wouldn't need to order often. :) Anybody know if it's too early to start on this year's Christmas List? :roflmao:

Too bad @Jan doesn't make any foraging toys yet. :yes3: :angel1: I'd bet she could make way cooler versions of the Bird Toy Store's toys! :yes1:

Like this one, maybe? (though not a foraging toy, I now have a desperate need to see what Jan would do with the idea!)
1611381602951.png

Last edited:

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There aren't too many that a macaw can't destroy.

For the "turn & learn logs" toy you need to get a stainless steel chain with welded links. That way he can't take it apart. I see the toy is about 22 inches long. Perhaps Jan could make you one. The ring on the bottom is also welded shut.
1611387081737.png

Do you have a stainless steel bucket? They come indifferent sizes. I bought 2 of them many years ago. One for my U2 & one for JaJaBinks (passed last August). I toss toy parts, nuts, etc in them. One Quart Stainless Steel Bucket

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
While I can use many of the caitec products with some of my guys they are not for Burt.

Try looking for Zoo Max's "crazy leather box" in size large. It's a 6x6 box. None of my guys have broke one but I don't give them to the hys.

Other than that you have to get creative. I can use these but have to add in a carriage bolt and lock nut. Foraging Ball with Bell | Caitec Corporation
All but the hy's and Sakie have these Four Big Drawers | Caitec Corporation but some have the back hanger removed and are bolted to the cage as the back clip is not very solid.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Caitec toys seem pretty sturdy although I only use them with my AG.

Also look at this. Astro the African grey was able to just casually chew this quick link like its nothing... I can't imagine what life must be like with a macaw! :laughing2:

IMG-20201126-WA0004.jpeg

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
No Caitec toy has held up to my birds. I use all of these but barrel (will probably buy it, too) and haven't had any damaged yet. Mechanical Toys – Busy Bird

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Caitec toys seem pretty sturdy although I only use them with my AG.

Also look at this. Astro the African grey was able to just casually chew this quick link like its nothing... I can't imagine what life must be like with a macaw! :laughing2:

View attachment 370833
Yeah I haven’t used them for Burt’s toys since he was a little baby. lol. He tries to get the budgies ones to destroy though.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Yeah I haven’t used them for Burt’s toys since he was a little baby. lol. He tries to get the budgies ones to destroy though.
How do you hang your toys? Do you use the otuer kind with thicker rectangular screws? I have recently seen Burt's destruction on your kitchen faucet. my boyfriend and I can't stop giggling about it~! :laugh:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m trying to replace all my quick links with the ball and hook type hanger that the bell is hanging from. So far the ball hanger is the only one Burt hasn’t worked out how to break or open E4266A0E-2404-40D7-986F-612361914F6F.jpeg
34F33E4A-B913-4F52-9DFC-60FD73D86334.jpeg

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You want an indestructible foraging toy. This one is about 20 years old. Still like new. Also a fabulous beak and nail trimmer. I think it was $5. :D

IMG_6260.jpeg

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You want an indestructible foraging toy. This one is about 20 years old. Still like new. Also a fabulous beak and nail trimmer. I think it was $5. :D

View attachment 371217
Got any footage of Amanda and Tikka using it?
It looks more like a tough birdie bento box than a forage toy.
I really want something that Burt has to think hard about and work at to get the food.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Got any footage of Amanda and Tikka using it?
It looks more like a tough birdie bento box than a forage toy.
I really want something that Burt has to think hard about and work at to get the food.
Not so new anymore.