• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Macaw plucking pin feathers, but acting normal.

rygby07

Moving in
Please help me out! I have a green-winged macaw I have owned for 5 years now. After his most recent molt I noticed that some of his feathers weren’t growing back in some places. I later noticed that every now and then when grooming himself, he would pull out a pin feather and eat it. Nothing in his environment or diet has changed, and he is still acting completely normal. He’s given a shower every few days, he plays and interacts with his toys, he is still very talkative, but I don’t understand why he is doing this.

I can‘t see a vet til a few more days.

My macaw is 31 years old and he had plucked under his wings before I got him, but it still had stopped about 15-20 years ago. Could it possibly be an old habit coming back? Or is it likely a disease? I am very careful to mot use chemicals and scents around him and I leave an air purifier going at all times.

He is on a Zupreem fruit blend and gets fruits, nuts, and veggies often.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Often a very simple bacterial infection can cause them enough discomfort for them to do this. Even if you can't get in a for a few days you need to make an appointment with the vet to rule out any infection. Get a CBC and a fecal gram stain. If it's been over a year you should also get a chem panel done. That will give you answers to know what your next steps are.

rygby07

Moving in
That makes me feel more at ease to know. Thank-you so much and I will most defiantly ask the vet of they can run those tests. I have him for an appointment on Tuesday with a new vet and I’m hoping that they will be able to provide those things. (The usual vet I take him to can’t see him until another 2 weeks)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
As long as the new vet sees macaws often I think you are good. Nothing worse than a vet not familiar with handling a large male macaw.

Let us know how it goes. If your sweetie is healthy we can look at other things.

rygby07

Moving in
Agreed. Will do, again thank-you so much for your help!