• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw owners?

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Those of you that have had young macaws....do they get more graceful with age? JaKhu will be 1 year & 7 months on Nov. 10th. She is so clumsy. JaJaBink's was very graceful at age 2 when I got her. JaKhu trips over her feet, stumbles on perches, etc.. She doesn't climb as well as JaJaBink's did either. I have noticed she holds her back short toes forward a lot. I'm wondering if this will get better as she ages a little or will she be like this for life?

She is still very destructive. Huge expensive toys only last a few days. She broke the coconut toy in the aviary, broke the bottoms out. The big Tiki rope is frayed on both ends. I'll try to post pics when we put it all away for winter. A big plastic orb toy....she managed to spring the heavy plastic chain open & remove the orb. It took both my husband & myself to pry it open & get it back on. She bends metal chains open, undoes quick links that have been tigtened with pliers, etc. How the heck does she manage this stuff? Her brain never stops trying to figure out how to take things apart or destroy them. She hardly stops moving. She's a very busy macaw.

She is very trusting of me tho, as she will reach down from a high perch, grab my finger or hand & then just roll off, let go, ending up on her back in my hand. She does spend a lot of time on her back playing & will even lay on her back in the shower/tub. She has one fear I'm working on. She refuses to go down the stairs. I know she can, as she climbs down everything else. She fights me tooth & nail & I end up carrying her by her feet back to her cage. I'm disabled & require at least one hand to hold the railing as I go stairs. She likes to be carried by her feet, so as soon as I pick her up by her feet she relaxes.

She is talking a little better, but still not as good as JaJaBink's did. JaKhu is not a loud talker, but more a quiet voice talker. She babbles a long sentence then you hear a clear word. She's also pretty quiet all day, doing most of her talking in the evening hours & only letting out a scream now & then.

I've caught her standing on her head in her one food dish. Of course by the time I grab the camera she's stopped. I swear she's part bat, as she spends a lot of time hanging upside down from the top of her cage, the aviary, parrot tower, etc.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yes, she will become more graceful as she ages. ;) My scarlet was my loose cannon. Never will be as graceful as Korbel my BG but he is very confident and you would never know he was an awkward baby.

Toes will usually fix too. @Shezbug 's Burt is already starting to push his back toe forward more. She has no idea that I watch that in her videos but I see everything BG. :laugh:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt’s short back toes are ok but the long back ones used to be frequently sitting forward. He nearly always uses them correctly now while on perches but he is still sometimes slacking off and letting them sit forwards or kinda out sideways when he’s on flat surfaces or my arm.
Every time I noticed him holding his toes weird I’d correct them and encourage him to use them right- not sure if it made any difference but I don’t see them sitting forwards any where near as often as they used to.
Burt is nowhere near as clumsy as he once was, I think they’re just like human kids.. some are naturally graceful right from the start and others need extra time to perfect their skills.