• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw? On the loose in Canberra Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natty

Meeting neighbors
Does anyone on here know of someone in Canberra Australia who may have lost a blue & gold or Hyacinth Macaw?

I work in Canberra and had several calls from different people in one suburban area about one on the loose being attacked by magpies. It sounds like a Hyacinth to me, but I'm going off descriptions from non-bird people. :)

If anyone can think of someone that may have lost one can they let me know? I'll try and find more info about it tomorrow.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh dear, I hope it's found and back with its owner soon. :(

~birdybea~

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
I haven't heard of anyone owning a hy anywhere near here. If they're not bird people could it be some other type of bird?

I would call either Dr Sandy Hume at Inner South Vet Centre or Priam Psittaculture Centre. Both these people/places would be quite likely to know people in the area who own such valuable birds and may know of someone who is missing one.

Natty

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for that birdybea- I didn't think of Sandy but will talk to him tomorrow. Hopefully it is licensed and I can find an owner that way. It's horrible to think of it out there somewhere... magpies, ravens and currawongs after it... eeek!!

I was (very :D) sceptical at first as well - but so many different people and similar descriptions? Several said it was a blue Macaw and another said it was huge, iridescent blue with an enormous beak... So it does sound Hyacinth-ish.

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Oh No! I do hope s/he will be found before s/he gets hurt and s/he can be reunited with his/her owner :(

Natty

Meeting neighbors
Well it is a blue & gold. But as far as I know hasn't found it's way home yet... Fingers crossed that it does!

~birdybea~

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
I would think that anyone in Australia that lost a B&G would be madly searching for it, they're not exactly cheap! Let us know if you hear more about it. :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I would think that anyone in Australia that lost a B&G would be madly searching for it, they're not exactly cheap! Let us know if you hear more about it. :)
Ditto on that.

Perhaps its an escaped breeder :( Poor thing all alone..

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
If you know of any one that has a b&g, take the bird (safely in a carrier) so that it calls- Macaws that are freightened will not call or scream but will answer another macaw's calls which will help locate the bird. Better yet a recording of macaw's calls. Also might respond to the owner's calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.